Charged for using home wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Recon, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Recon

Recon New Member

Can somebody explain to me why im being charged for using my home wifi?
    My credit (pay as you go) has been going down really fast, so i phoned my provider, Telia, to see what's what.
    They looked at my bill and said it's from surfing, i explained that i use it on my home wifi so it should not charge me, they then said some bullsh*t about the phone using gsm or grsm? to get updates. I said to them that that was rubbish because when i have no money on the phone i can still surf, download, check emails, etc....

In the end they had no idea why i was being charged for connecting to my home wifi! .... great service Telia!!!!

Anybody know what's going on?
  2. 560cool

560cool Member

maybe your payday has come
  3. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The phone used the data connection to get info all the time. Its not something you see or can really "control". It will continue to use your pre-paid time/service to do this.
    There is however a fix for this. You need to go into Cydia and download a tool called BossPreffs. This is a tool that allows you yo turn off some of the phones services. Much like you can turn Wifi on and off, in the BossPreffs tool you will want to turn off 3G and EDGE. This will turn off the data antennas and should stop the phone from using your credit.
  4. Recon

Recon New Member

Thanks for your reply!

I do have BossPreffs and when at home turn off 3G and Edge, but i am still being charged for using my home wifi!

I've just thought about it though, i have push on for every 30min even when not at home (bit extreme maybe!), so when my phone is in standby the wifi is disabled, and it's the 3G/Edge that pushes the data....think this must be where my credit problem is!!!

I know there is a mod to keep wifi connected even in standby but can't remember the name. Anyone know the name/Source?

Cheers!
  5. Achy9

Achy9 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    KeepAwake for SBSettings. Not sure about the BossPrefs one.

And the Source is iSpazio.
  6. Recon

Recon New Member

Cheers mate that's the one!, and thank you all for the help!