charge to replace iphone casing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wastedd, Feb 8, 2010.

1. wastedd

wastedd Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hi, i recently noticed that my sony speaker dock has caused the bottom of my iphone 3gs to start to crack at the port and on reading my warranty ive come to the conclusion that apple will not repair this under warranty. I know i can buy replacement casing online but i have no wish to take my phone apart an replace it myself. So my question is this, does anyone know if i was to take my phone to my local apple genius bar in the uk will they fix/replace it for me and how much is this likely to cost?
    I rang them at the genius bar but they wouldnt give me a quote instead they told me to make an appointment an bring it.
  2. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    how do you know it was the sony dock? all dock connecters will cause stress on the case and the part that cracks is the glossy coating on the plastic, these cracks will appear (visible only on the white version) around the camera, lock button, dock port and speaker/mic.

i did actually have my iPhone replaced once because i had it for 2 weeks and it was cracking and peeling off. and they replaced it without charge. there is no harm in actually going into the apple store and asking if it will cost you.
  3. wastedd

wastedd Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    both my wife and i use this dock for our iphones, hers is a black 3g and ive the white 3gs, both are cracked in the same place.
    I say the dock caused it but that is not excatly true, its us removing them causing it, when a phone is mounted in the dock it sits at a slight angle and when removing the phone we tend to pull it forward, i beleive it is this action that has caused them both to crack.

Please Register or Log in to view images

You can see both the cracks at either side of the dock port.
  4. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    ah yeah that does look quite bad, apple would repair it, but it would be at a pretty big cost.