Charge & sync over USB1 works (for me)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carrythebanner, Oct 14, 2007.

1. carrythebanner

carrythebanner New Member

I seem to remember there being some doubt as to whether it would function over USB 1.x.

I finally got my Touch, and I found that it charges & syncs just fine on both my dual G4 1.25 at home with USB 1.x, and a dual G5 at work with USB 2.0 (both running 10.4.10 as required). Of course, it's pretty slow to copy content over USB 1.x -- especially videos -- but it does work, and if you're jsut syncing bookmarks/contacts/etc the speed difference is negligible.

I'm not sure if this applies to every Mac with USB 1.x ports (iBooks & the like) so YMMV, but I figured I throw this out there for anyone wondering as I assume Apple won't tell you because their requirements for the Touch include "USB 2.0 port."
  2. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Highly doubt it. The USB 1.1 does carry a charge, but is VERY VERY small. The requirements state 2.0 because it is ideal. Charging time on 1.1 is horrendous if it does any charging whatsoever.
  3. carrythebanner

carrythebanner New Member

On my dual G4 1.25 it does charge. I haven't compared charge time between the G4 and G5 because I've only had the Touch for a few days, but I can guarantee you that on my machine it does charge & sync.

Obviously, 2.0 is ideal -- and as such, I've done the majority of syncing from the G5 -- but 1.x is working for me in a pinch.
  4. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It would be neat if you could compare the charge time between the two and post your results.

Syncing I am sure works since they are both the same thing except speeds different.