Charge before ship?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fiwi, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Fiwi

Fiwi New Member

I was surprised to see my bank account drafted for my iPod Touch when it hasn't even shipped yet.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Can they do that?
  2. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

wow, that is sooo Apple. they want the money now, but dont ship the product for another week

was the charge "pending" or had it gone completely through?
  3. Fiwi

Fiwi New Member

Completely through!

4. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

yea they can do that as soon as you put in the order... in fact i think most online stores will do their credit check etc etc then charge your card. And they charge the card before they ship because they dont wanna send out a product then have to worry about whether or not the card is real or not and will actually work.

the difference is just whether you get charged when you order or not until they send it. personally ide rather get charged when i order and then not have some 3 or 4 hundred dollar charge show up a few weeks later
  5. ediddy_getcrunk

ediddy_getcrunk New Member

my order has just deducted $10 for shipping..hasnt charged me for the actual unit yet...and it was ordered about 10 days ago...just got charged for the shipping cost when my order changed to "Pepared for Shipment"
  6. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Apple tries to charge you as close to the date of shipping, they do NOT charge until then, so i dont know why you complain about this, because most companies charge you right away, without any wait,

Cheers,
    Ben.
  7. Fiwi

Fiwi New Member

I do a lot of online shopping and have never been charged before something ships. My bank just changed hands, so perhaps it's an error and it is indeed just pending. I'm going to check on Monday. The way they report my transactions now makes it hard to tell.
  8. ediddy_getcrunk

ediddy_getcrunk New Member

eh, it doesnt really bug me if they take the money out before it ships, no complaints here...just as long as it gets here

9. hourog

hourog New Member

Whenever you can, try to use a charge card vs. a debit card or bank draft when dealing with any merchant.

The banks have a completely different set of rules when using a debit card or bank draft. You maintain much more control and have better leverage in a charge transaction.

For instance, if there is a problem with your debit transaction and the merchant gives you your money back, chances are the actual cash will not show up back in your account for 7-10 days. Contrast that return scenario with your purchase experience where funds are *immediately* withdrawn from your balance. See how profitable banking can be; that's why there's one on every corner, almost.

Remember the golden rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.
  10. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

thank you Ralph, very graphic.

i always use the one, same card, a credit card mind you, when doing online purchases. easier to track that way.