Changing root password - is passwd safe?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AussieGuy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. AussieGuy

AussieGuy Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I want to change the root password of my jailbroken iPod Touch 2G, running firmware 3.0. I know about the "passwd" command (used it many times on Unix/Linux systems), but I've come across a few places which warn against using it on the iPod Touch. There's also this method, which requires creating a new password first, and then inserting it into the /etc/master.password file. I don't mind the idea of this, even it is a bit of a fiddle.

All I really want to know is - what's a failsafe method for password changing for my iPod and its firmware? I don't want to brick it!

Thanks,
    -A.
  2. MATHELIEUS

MATHELIEUS New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    try using the cydia tutorial on the cydia app, i have an ipod touch 2nd gen with 3.1.2 firmware jailbroken and i think that might work. it is found under the "cydia" tab, user guides, openSSH Access how-to, at the bottom change default password. i think this is what you are looking for. you could try to make a backup of the passwd file, by "ssh"ing into your ipod with username: root Password: alpine, and going to the directory /usr/bin/ and copying the passwd file to you cpu. if it fails, then i think that you should be able to replace the modded passwd file with the backup copy.