changing my ip address 192... on my itouch

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by newtotech, Aug 20, 2010.

1. newtotech

newtotech New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Hi Everyone, I am glad to be apart of this forum. I have not been able to rectify this problem. I have been trying to change my ip address from my ipod touch for the past 2 days. I have tried everything I've read thus far from the post and still have the same problem. Help!!!!
  2. jakecigar

jakecigar New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    a 169.x.x.x address is called a self-assigned ip address.
    a 192.128.x.x address is a local (private) ip address.

Your router is not giving you a local address, and your iPod is making up an address which has NO use.

Reboot the router, reset the router or destroy the router.

I suggest rebooting it first.

You may also wish to 'forget' this 'broken' network on your iPod.
  3. oisee

oisee New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Looks like I figured it out why iPad is so unpredictably stubborn sometimes. And I have found a real solution (not such pseudo-solutions as "turn off autobright" or "autofill").

The reason of getting 169.x.x.x ip is that router's DHCP-server is too slow for the jumpy iPad, and the server cannot give the iPad a correct ip (something like 192.168.0.x) quickly. So the jumpy iPad makes decision to get itself a 169.x.x.x.

The reason why router can't manage to do it is: it's busy with other tasks.

And that is why the full router-reset helps for a while. When the router's RAM gets busy with junk tasks results in DHCP low performance, so it's too slow for iPad's DHCP client. And that's why getting new modern AirPort Extreme helps too.

So, the real solution is: speed-up the DHCP-server on your good old router (installing latest firmware), OR just set up another DHCP-server in your subnet.

For example, I have a NAS (DNS-323), and i just turned on its DHCP-server and the 169-problem was just gone. It (DHCP-server) runs so fast, even for the jumpy iPad.

The subnet config is: good old router D-Link DI-642 (with DHCP-server's range:, NAS D-Link DNS-323 (with DHCP-server's range:

So, now iPad just gets its ip from the fastest (second) DHCP server:

You can set up second DHCP-server on your macBook or somewhere/somewhat else.