Changing iTunes storage/backup location?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iEatApplesLikeYou, Apr 6, 2009.

1. iEatApplesLikeYou

iEatApplesLikeYou New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    When I sync my iPod, I want it to backup my settings, apps, and video to a specified location (my external hard drive) rather than the default location (on my main drive). Is there a way to change the settings to achieve this? I don't want to use the space on my PC for this. Would the only way to do this be to uninstall iTunes and reinstall it on the external drive?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Anyone? I have searched around for an answer to this but couldn't find one.
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

iPod Touch bloats the C drive when backing up

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! I do not have a large hard drive on my laptop and it is the computer which I use for synching my 'pod. I was running dangerously short on disk space.

I uninstalled iTunes completely and thoroughly cleared out the registry (using a utility tool) and freed up a whopping 15 gigs of space. Shocking!

I re-installed iTunes but this time put it on my external drive (which also has the mp3 files too). Everything went fine, but when I did my first synch with the iPod it seized back the 15 gigs plus some on the C drive again! Damit!

I know iTunes is prime bloatware but this is too much. I also know that I have a huuuuggge amount of application data stored on my iPod which is most assuredly seizing the huge disk space on the C drive. I know this because I monitor the disk space usage and the chunk of C drive that gets blotted up happens on the "backing up iPod" phase of the synch.

How in the %!&$!*X! tarnation can a person direct #X!$%#* iTunes to leave my #*!X$%^! laptop C drive alone???? Please and thank you.
  3. LuckyArmpit

LuckyArmpit New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    3G iPod touch could use a bigger drive on your lapper. Once the drive gets 75% full, your system will slow down some. Even more so when your drive space gets even lower.
    What I would do is to buy a bigger drive for your lapper, take the drive in your lapper out, attach it to a desktop machine and connect up the new drive. Then, clone your old drive to the newer one and put new drive into your lapper. Finally, get an enclosure for your old drive and use it as an external drive.