Change Name "Ipod Touch"

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by barbiegirl2000, Apr 6, 2009.

1. barbiegirl2000

barbiegirl2000 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does anyone know how to change the name of the ipod touch? I am not talking about the name that you set it up with in itunes. I am talking about the 'ipod touch' name that comes up on my router in the client list. Is there a way to change this to something else?
  2. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    What router do you have.

But I think you need to do it on the iPod side. There is a file called general.log (can't remember the full path) if you edit where it says iPod2,1(or iPod1,1) to either iPhone1,2 or iPhone1,1 that might work. But be warned, this will make iTunes think you have an iPhone
  3. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The name you can set up in iTunes is the hostname of your iPod. On my router this was also the name that was shown for the iPod, however you can re-label the clients to whatever you want (which does not change the hostname since it is only a router-side label). This probably is different for different routers.
  4. barbiegirl2000

barbiegirl2000 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You are right, I do need to do it on the ipod side. I saw on another page on the net they were saying to download a utility from installer called 'make it mine' but i found no such program on installer. I have a belkin router which doesn't allow you to change anything anyway.

EDIT: Since jailbreaking I didn't realize the name had changed from 'Ipod Touch', it is now called 'unknown.' This will do me for now I guess. The name of my Ipod in itunes is 'Stephanies Ipod' and no, that is not the name I want to change.
  5. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    MIM only changes the name which is shown on the left side of your statusbar. It does nothing to the hostname of your iPod and I highly doubt it will affect what your router displays.

Hmm. I am pretty sure 'Stephanies Ipod' is not a valid hostname due to the blank in between. I wonder what your hostname is. If you start MobileTerminal (can get it from Cydia) what does the command prompt look like?
  6. shank65blu

shank65blu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this is really important to me! I need to change my host name of my ipod. it shows up as "IPOD-TOUCH" right now on my router and thats not what I want. Can someone please help me out. I need to change it. I have 3.0 jailbroken. and terminal installed, all the library commands installed, I also have an app from cydia called SysInfo and it shows all teh details of my ipod, and thats also where I can see that the hostname is IPOD-TOUCH, and i can see this same thing on my router config panel. please help me, and the initial user who posted this question.

thanks