Change Application Names

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by trnka, Dec 13, 2007.

1. trnka

trnka New Member

Well, I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I felt like changing the names of some of the apps.
    Personally, i think mobile scrobbler and gpSPhone and VNSea are kinda retarded names.
    So i changed 'em!
    peep the pics!
    Also, for advanced users: Am I setting myself up for disaster here?
    Anywho, cheers everyone! This is my first ever thread! Wooo!

Attached Files:

2. jmccnz

jmccnz New Member

I would be interested to know how you did this?
  3. trnka

trnka New Member

its not even complicated!

1. I used finder to bring up the /applications
    anything i didn't like, i highlighted, modified, changed name to "whatever-i-want.app"
    as an example, smbprefs.app to theme.app

2. without exiting, i went to private/var/root/library/summerboard/(name of the theme you are using)/icons
    anything you changed in step 1, must be changed here (if you want to maintain the integrity of your theme-otherwise you get default (boring) icons)
    continuing the example, smbprefs.png to theme.png

Reboot and you are good to go!

(I tried to change safari to firefox, but in the applications directory it is listed as mobilesafari.app >>>so, maybe it can be changed, but i am afraid to try)
  4. jmccnz

jmccnz New Member

Awesome, thanks!
  5. screwy

screwy New Member

this is proved as it is but can anyone who is in detailed of hacking the ipod touch can prove that this won't screw up your apps or ipod touch?
  6. deltaspecops

deltaspecops New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the small amount of developing i do says that it wont work because your changing the name in a file path written in the coding of the app itself. however thats only on pc equip. so i cant for sure say this wont work. but I personally won't try this till its proven.

If it does work Amen! im tired of these god-awefull names! LoL
  7. optikalblitz

optikalblitz New Member

yeah i totally agree with you on the gpSPhone.. i don't even care that it's ported from a PSP app or what have you..it looks terrible on my springboard.
  8. Dupo24

Dupo24 New Member

you can change the names. I've done it...everything works fine....but watch out for upgrading to the newest versions after changing the name...it doesn't work.

Dupo
  9. midiman6

midiman6 New Member

Yeah, just as long as you change the name back before you upgrade it your fine. Otherwise it won't work because it will try to update to a folder that doesn't exist.
  10. screwy

screwy New Member

This is exactly one of the reasons. don't know all of you guys but i like to install/uninstall stuff frequently and if there is update , i bet i would even forget which name i changed and stuff

Please Register or Log in to view images

untill something is confirmed 100% for example, ipod has video icon right i can change that name since it's working 100% and it won't get any updaate...