Caution regarding 900 mhz cordless telephones and the voip over wireless

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by k20whiteguy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. k20whiteguy

k20whiteguy New Member

Today I assembled my walmart mic in about 20 mins and installed the voice recording app to my ipod.

After making 3 crystal clear recordings, I decided to place a call through the WI-FI. The call was very distorted and had a loud whistling/wheezing background noise.

After making 2 more crystal clear recordings straight to the ipod, I concluded there must be some outside interferrence against the WI-FI signal.

I figured a cordless phone frequency must be to blame. Taking the battery out of the ancient cordless phone in the kitchen solved the harmonics issue and my call was extremely clear. I still had the 1 sec lag but hey it worked!

Hope this may help someone.

I think I'm the first person to complete a successful call through an Ipod in Chicago!!
  2. uberaeth

uberaeth New Member

Thanks for the tip. 2.4 ghz cordless phones and microwaves will also interfere with the wifi signal. I got one of the new 5.8 ghz cordless phones in my house and that doesn't interfere at all.
  3. rhmyuen

rhmyuen New Member

Isn't your WiFi on the 2.4GHz frequency range?
  4. k20whiteguy

k20whiteguy New Member

i have also noticed some wi-fi interferrence from microwaves too. Just a FYI in case your calls are choppy.