categorize app?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ag11hockey, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ag11hockey

ag11hockey New Member

anyone know anything about the app called categories and if it works good or w/e...?
  2. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

If I think I know what your talking about, then the app is called Categories.

The app is kind of nice if you want to organize your springboard with other themes, but I recently had to restore my iPod because it hid all of my applications so I couldn't use them. I had a blank screen with nothing but music, videos and photos.

It's just one mistake, and if you're careful you can avoid it. But I think it's pretty much pointless.
  3. ag11hockey

ag11hockey New Member

i meant categories in the title but it already submited befor i had a change to edit it... i think im going to install it now... im sick of all these damn icons
  4. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

The Categories.app is excellent.
    He's been updating it quite often with new features. It has everything I need now.
    It allows you to place summerboard icons into one (or more) icons, and when you click on it, it brings up a brand new summerboard, basically.

Only thing I think he should fix, is the wait when you first click on a custom made folder... It takes a good 3 - 4 seconds before you can actually click on an icon located in a made folder using Categories... Other than that, it's perfect.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. MintMiNime

MintMiNime New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I just installed it
    it's great.. i can keep all my games in a folder and easy to use but

after i finished the folder i can't slide my spring board i have to click in the corner instead.

is anybody has the same problem ?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    and now my ipod is stuck ! -*-
  6. Kadoogan

Kadoogan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I use Categories on my iPhone 3G. It provides a great function, and one Apple should really provide as standard.

My one problem with it is that it seems very unstable. When adding or sorting apps within Categories I find that I can only do a few changes and then have to exit and restart Springboard, before going back in to do further changes. If I spend too long (ie a minute or more) making changes it freezes my phone. It eventually reboots and then I often find that the file that contains the info about how the Springboard is organised is corrupted meaning every single icon is now back on the Springboard, and I have to start again with sorting them. Annoying if you have loads of them!

I upgraded to 2.2.1 at the weekend and after jailbreaking installed Categories with just a few other apps. The problem was still there so a restore doesn't seem to be the answer.

Anyone else having this issue?
  7. Pickaxe

Pickaxe New Member

^ Yes, I'm having the same problem - Categories is quite buggy and unstable, and already forced me to restart once, and it freezes every once in a while which is a real pain with a Tethered Jailbreak. I'm reluctant to install it again, but I also have a lot of games and I can't stand having to arrange them all the time.
  8. Kadoogan

Kadoogan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The key seems to be just to add a few apps to a folder at a time, then back out and restart Springboard. Don't hang around too long in any folder or be tempted to go into a second folder to make changes. It's a pain when you are organising everything for the first time after updating firmware as having to do a few apps at a time is time-consuming, but after the initial work you will probably only be adding or removing one or two apps at a time and that shouldn't be a problem as long as you make the changes fairly speedily. Seems to work for me. It would be great to see a fixed version of Categories but for me the advantages of using it still beats the drawbacks.

Finding out about QuickGold was great because if Categories screws up and all your apps end up back on the Springboard you can use that to find and launch whatever app you need, until you have time to get everything sorted again. Very useful if you have more apps than Springboard can display as well!
  9. a_perruzzi

a_perruzzi New Member

I'm having a problem with Categorize...
    It works fine with all of my applications except one: Videos
    It will NOT find it in the "add" list and I can't get it inside another folder

Anyone know how to solve this?
  10. RainbowKT

RainbowKT New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    does it show up on sb