Categories v2.22 not working

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Pacmandu, May 20, 2009.

1. Pacmandu

Pacmandu New Member

Hello, I'm having an issue where I was in the iPod settings and I turned on restrictions and then turned them off. (I don't know why, I was just bored) Then when I hit the home button all of my apps that were in folders all appeared on my home screen and then my springboard crashed went into safe mode and then I turned it off to reboot it and when it booted back up I went to categories to try and put everything back but categories just crashes back to the home screen as soon as it loads. I've tried reinstalling categories but with no luck. So I can't do anything with the folders that are stuck on my home screen and I would really like to have categories working because I need it for all my hundreds of apps. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. DaveiPhone

DaveiPhone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The problem occurred because part of the mechanism that Categories uses to hide the apps from SpringBoard is the same as Restrictions. By toggling Restrictions, you un-hid everything. Now you probably have so many apps exposed that the iPod is running out of memory before Categories can parse them all.

If you had a backup of your /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist, you could have replaced it via SSH and that would've fixed the problem. But at this point, you'll need to rebuilt the list. You might try installing Poof and seeing if you can use it to hide all the programs that were in Categories. Then reboot and see if Categories will launch. At that point you may be able to touch things up. If that doesn't work, you'll need to uninstall most of your programs, and then try launching Categories, gradually adding the programs back to folders by deleting and re-adding them in.
  3. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Manually add the programs to the list.txt files in the categories folders.
  4. Pacmandu

Pacmandu New Member

Thanks

Thank you for your advice I will try it and get back to you on it. I really really appreciate the help.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I got it working and categories started up again and i deleted the folders and created new ones and i started putting the apps back into folders but i think i might have put too many apps back on at once so now categories is not working again. DOH! But what you said was correct. i have to uninstall everything and put back on little by little. Thanks for your help.