categories: ipod doom?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by berky93, Jan 6, 2008.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

I know (from experience) that categories used to cause all your icons to be hidden and mess up your ipod, but almost every day I see categories as a recent application, meaning it was updated. so Im asking: does categories still mess up your ipod? or is it stable now?
  2. golddiggerpro

golddiggerpro New Member

My iPod is messed up and all my app icons are missing please somebody help! I dont want to have to restore!!
  3. Timeless_Melody

Timeless_Melody New Member

if they are just hidden, and you have no way to unhide them (this happened to me yesterday), then do this (this is what i did)

- go on youtube, and search for ipodtouchmaster, and look for his "change icon order" video
    - figure out how to do it, should be easy once you watch the video, and then make sure your dock icons contain installer and customize (even if customize is not installed, you can install it via installer and it will show on the dock once installed)
    - with customize you will be able to hide/unhide all of your apps and be able to see and use them again
    hope this helps
  4. dragon641

dragon641 New Member

They've fixed a lot of the problems with the last few updates so it at seems pretty stable, so if anyone's hesitant about going back to it I'd give it a second shot. I've been using it since it came out and never had any problems.

Here's the change log so you can see what's been fixed.
    http://sleepers.net/~iphone/categories/changelog.shtml
  5. formal

formal New Member

My icons continue to be deleted even with the new update. The way I fix mine is to have the dock.app installed. When I do something that deletes the icons I use the dock.app to get into categories.app. Once there I undo all my categories and make everything like it was before I made any changes. ( this is to make sure all my application icons return correctly ). From there I go to installer and uninstall categories.app. Because of my configuration/modding I now need to go back into customize and turn on all the application icons that I disabled. At this point all my icons/dock return and I can install categories.app again. This only seems to happen to me once I've set up my springboard how I want it ( 3 categories folders and two application icons in my dock with no other icons on my desktop ) Whenever I install a new application and I move it into the proper categories folder is when my icons go blank.
  6. dragon641

dragon641 New Member

I'm guessing you have the "Allow Hide Icons" set to "On" because that's the only thing that should be causing errors such as the one you're having. Ever since they set that option to default to "Off" I just use Customize to hide the apps once I add them to one of my categories and don't experience any sort of problems.

If you don't have auto-hide on, I guess I'm lucky to have it working fine.
  7. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've been using categories since it was released. Any icons it hides can be un-hidden in customize. Besides, if you're smart you'll just disable app hiding. Categories isn't iPod Doom as long as you know whaty you're doing. Actually, it isn't iPod doom as long as you know how to use customize.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But to answer your question, yes, almost all of the bugs are now gone and there are some cool new features like SMB them support.