Categories idea

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by jimbeam, Feb 12, 2009.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    A new categories! Put on your imagination cap and follow me

Please Register or Log in to view images

You hold your finger on a blank spot on your springboard, a pop up box appears asking if you want to create a new category, you tap yes. Now a keyboard pops up and you type the name of the category. A folder appears on the springboard, now you drag an app over the category and hold it there for a split second and the folder opens and the app is gone from the springboard! Drag a few more in the same way. Now you tap the folder you dropped them in and it opens with all your apps, but with no loading! It opens just as fast as stacks would and opens just like stacks would with the springboard still visible. Now you hold your finger on an icon in the category for a second and drag it over the springboard, out of the category and its removed from the category and back on your springboard, no respring or anything, it works just like it would on your computer! Drag and drop!

Step by step.

1. Creation of a folder/category.
    Hold finger on blank part of screen. Keyboard pops up to name folder. Name the folder (Games for example) Keyboard goes away. Games folder pops up on springboard (Picture a webclip forming on springboard).

2. Adding apps to folder.
    hold an app (iMob for example) until it wiggles and hover it over the (games) folder and it vanishes! Like moving an app to another page but in this case a folder. No respring.

3. Opening, launching and removing.
    Tap the folder (Games) it opens almost like opening stack. Fans out in a grid. Tap the app it launches. Hold and drag to the edge of the grid and its removed from the folder, like moving an app from one page to another, No respring. Dead simple!

4. Removing or deleting a category/folder.
    Drag all apps out of folder. Hold finger on empty folder and a dialog box pops up (Remove folder yes/no) tap yes and folder vanishes like deleting an app from springboard. No respring.

Probably multiple MS extensions for this to work or one massive extension. Hardest part would probably be getting springbaord to treat apps in a folder as if they are just on another page, when they are not, they are in a folder. But who knows I'm no coder

What do you think? The current categories.app works fine. It does the job, but this would be amazing and look incredible! IPTmaster? bigboss?
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

That's a pretty good idea. I would use that if Categories wasn't so buggy now. I had to restore because of it. Anyways, if they clean up the bugs I'd use that feature.

Nice idea.
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Oh yea to remove the category just drag all the apps out and hold your finger on the folder for a bit and another box pops up asking if you want to delete it, you tap yes and its gone.

Come on Bigboss, IPTmaster show them what jailbreaking can do!
  4. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    that would be amazing. where exactly would you choose the icon for the category though?
  5. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That would be awesome , categories would have to be completely redone and smashed together with stacks.
  6. ZMOBtiger

ZMOBtiger New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This almost sounds impossible...I would really love it if someone was able to make this, but you would have to be able to change the appearance of the springboard without respringing. Instead of deleting an app, you want to move it to a new location...difficult stuff.
  7. Gatzy118

Gatzy118 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Somthing like this?

I thought id make this to get a better understanding. Assume the light appears where your finger is

Attached Files:

8. Gatzy118

Gatzy118 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is that right? I'm still a bit confused :s
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Sort of? Not sure what part that is? If its just the opening of a folder full of app then its close.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    You don't. It just puts a regular folder and a keyboard pops up so you can name it. like a folder on a mac. But you can theme it like any other icon with winterboard.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    If someone figures out how springboard keeps icons on multiple pages. When you move an app to another page and go back to the first page you dont see that app but its there just on another page. Apps in a category or folder would be almost the same, you cant see it but its their almost like having an app on another page.

When you add an app to a category its treated almost as if its just on another page, but its not its in a folder. Get it?

I'm not talking about an app really, rather an extension to springboard.

Edit: Added more detail to the first post.
  10. mcspazotron

mcspazotron New Member

I like the way you think! That is a good idea. I was thinking something similar but I never expand on my ideas which is a shame =/ . I wish categories was like that so easy to use but its so buddy as manram said before. I used it and it just killed the iPod Touch experience some how.