Categories: Backgrounds in folder?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by DM616, Jan 12, 2010.

1. DM616

DM616 New Member

Apparently you can set a background in the folders for "Categories"...but how?

And are the "folder icons" editable? Can I use WinSCP and find the .PNG and edit them to my liking? Or?...
  2. Ether

Ether New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The Background isnt working for me either but heres how you get your icons changed:

Make sure the icons you want are in your theme folder in their own icons folder.

Go to the categories folder ( on your iPod) that you wish to edit the icons in.

Down in the lower right hand corner tap on the little "i".

You will get a settings menu with the header "Prefs for: (Folder name here)"

At the bottom of the list where it says Icons Theme, tap that, then you will get a popup saying Choose Icon theme. Choose the theme that you placed your icons in.

Press the home button then go to the folder and voila there are your icons

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. kaizersix

kaizersix New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i assume you are in the latest version of Categories, right?

just SSH into your device (using WinSCP) and go to ~/Applications. Scroll down to the Categories***.app folders. in here you will a lot of files. You can replace them with you own. Just be sure to copy the exact filename.

background.png - background for your categories
    icon.png - the icon that shows in your springboard
    default.png - the "loading screen". Useless when you have CategoriesSB installed.

once replaced, just respring and you're done.
  4. iAppleTechGuru

iAppleTechGuru Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    NOOO!
    Open Categories and look UNDER the Folder, it should say a location.
    ... It will be something like Category000.app or Category001.app

You need Winterboard.
    SSH to /Library/Themes
    Make a new folder called CategoriesTheme.theme, or whatever you want.
    Inside the .theme folder, make another folder and name it "Folders", without the quotes.
    Inside the Folders folder, make another folder according to the name.

For example, my games folder is named "Category000.app", so inside the Folders folder, I would make a folder named "Category000.app".

NOW, inside the CategoryXXX.app folder, you can place two PNG files, each 320x480.
    Loading screen - Default.png
    Background - background.png

THE PNG NAMED ARE CASE SENSITIVE.
  5. J-rad

J-rad New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    EVEN BETTER:
    if you want to include it in a theme you can turn on and off,
    just copy (COPY...you need the original of course, dont even know why i am saying this

Please Register or Log in to view images

) the Category000.app or what ever into your theme under a folder called folders then edit what ever you want, like maybe replace the background...or what ever you want. My theme for example, is NEO so i would but it in root/Library/themes/NEO/Folders. This way you can turn it on and off easily and if you get bored of the theme or change theme or what ever, you can go back to the original without having to edit all the files.

That help at all?
  6. Baby_Bella

Baby_Bella New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I tried to change my background.png from one of my category folders but it didn't show up. Anyone else having issues?
  7. J-rad

J-rad New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh...I had this problem too, open your category/categories and press the little white i in the bottom right hand side of the screen. You will see a whole lot of toggles, here you need to set background image to ON. That should fix it, it also allows you to change other neat things like...make it so you can scroll up/down instead of left/right or change the icon font colour.

That help?
  8. snowmandc

snowmandc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I dont have the little "i" icon , i used to but its not there anymore any help?