Cassette adaptor vs FM transmitter

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sonny123, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sonny123

sonny123 New Member

Hi guys,

So I spent 100 bucks on a top of the line Griffin FM Transmitter for my touch. i'm sure you know how it works: one end plugs into cigarette lighter in car and other goes into ipod. you tune into the frequency it sugggests and bobs your uncle. I tried it out. Here's what i like:

1. ability to change tracks without touching the ipod. it has buttons on the cigarette lighter charger piece to let you do thid.

2. it charges the touch

3. It has good cable length so if i have saved a road map on my touch, i can bring it up to face level and have a quick look at directions

a little dissapointed with

1. i had a 4 year old ipod mini before the touch and used it in the car with a cheap 5 buck casette adaptor from china. The sound quality of this is better then the fm transmitter. There is just more oomph from it. The car has a good stereo system and i am 99.9% sure my fm transmitter is in perfect working order (i.e. not a fault one)

In your experience, do casette adaptors provide better sound quality then wireless fm transmitters?

I am still gonna use the fm transmitter over the casette simply because i can change tracks without touching the ipod. And when i have a passenger in car i will use the casette adaptor so they can change track on the touch

Thanks

Sonny

ps. don't reply with "what is a cassette" cos you will make me feel really old

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    yes, because you have a direct link. fm transmitters dont. the few fm transmitters i've tried, (from a couple of bucks to 50 bucks and up), offer different options, but basically offer the same sound quality - pretty sh*te in reality.
  3. sonny123

sonny123 New Member

Hey, you're from the UK!! Howdy! Wale had a good rugby weekend!

thanks man for confirming this.

i am on various ipod forums and a lot of them have bad, snobbish attitudes towards iptf. but let me tell you, this forum rocks!

that's a 100 bucks i won't get back. live and learn.
  4. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    we did yeah! (shame about the english

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  5. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is it literally an FM transmitter? ie you could pick it up with a standard radio?
  6. bulungula

bulungula New Member

I have a Belkin TuneCast 2 and I am happy with it. I had an adapter cassette before, but the sound quality with the transmitter is much better.
  7. quick5pnt0

quick5pnt0 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, that is what an FM transmitter is. Any FM radio can pick it up but only within a certain distance. I've heard of people adding a longer antenna wire to them to extend the range. One person claimed to be 100ft away from their radio and still getting decent reception (with like a 6ft antenna wire).
  8. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    yes. it is better with a cassette thing. the best is a direct link to your deck. red and yellow inputs are on most factory car decks. get a cable that has red & yellow on one end, and a headphone jack on the other. i got a 6 foot cable so i can have my ipod in my lap and change tracks with pocket touch. once you do that, youll never go back. its so easy!
  9. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i like the transmitter cuz its wireless, sorta...
  10. bulungula

bulungula New Member

Here is how to make a 3 miles radius transmitter out of a Belkin Tunecast 2:

http://www.sonic.net/~n7moe/BelkinMod.htm