Casemod ideas?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by SwiftSkii, Oct 21, 2010.

1. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    I'm clueless

Normal huge computer motherboard, I don't have anything small

Okey, GO!
  2. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
  3. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    English pl0x
  4. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    what?
  5. berky93

berky93 New Member

I want to make a computer in a custom case based on a character I designed. It's basically a cliche toy robot. How about R2D2?
  6. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    One thing to keep in mind when doing custom cases. Avoid circles, any round shape really, as the majority or parts are square as they are designed to fit in squared cases. And dont yell at me saying they are rectangular or whatever, by square i mean they are designed with 90 degree angles at the key points in their design.
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

I like round custom cases because the design automatically has extra room due to the fact that the parts dont fit perfectly. This means the chance of overheating is less
  8. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    actually, it means that you will have to build a squared design into it in order to properly support and house all the parts.

And it wont help with overheating. In a standard case you have directed airflow.
    In a round case your gonna have cyclic airflow, this will cause more overheating than it solves. You want the airflow to enter the case and exit the case a fast and efficient as possible.

Your best bet would be to buy a cheap small form factor case that you can build around. Where the outside would be for looks only and incorporate parts to direct airflow into and out of the case within the outer shell