Case: How to tell if leather

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LeifG, Nov 25, 2009.

1. LeifG

LeifG New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I bought the Proporta leather case as described here:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158792&highlight=proporta case

Mine is the brown version. Looks nice, fits a treat, good protection and good workmanship, but I don't think it is leather. The smell is plastic, and the inside surface of the 'leather' that forms the sides of the case is woven black material. The sides are far too thin for it to be lined leather. It looks like vinyl on fabric. Given that the sides are identical to the rest of the 'leather', I want to know how I can determine what it is made from. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can recognise real leather?

Also, if someone has this case, could they confirm or not that the inside surface of the sides is woven black fabric and not bare leather?

As an aside it came direct from Proporta.

By the way I've tried a laboratory microscope at x100 with no joy. Yes, I just happen to have one on hand.
  2. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

Maybe it's bicast or bonded leather
  3. EBOBO

EBOBO New Member

If it was genuine leather, they probably would have advertised as such.
  4. LeifG

LeifG New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You can't always be sure. These are made in China, and the Chinese are not exactly renowned for being honest given that they completely ignore intellectual property rights and simply copy Western products. Hence I would like to make sure.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thanks for the info. I'd never heard of bicast. I checked and in the UK it is illegal to sell bicast as leather.
  5. sakakikala

sakakikala New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Personally I avoid leather products, but you can usually tell by the smell/texture. If it feels and smells like plastic, it is likely animal friendly and fake leather.

If it smells like chemical mixed with raw-hide(for dogs) and feels like leather, it is likely leather.