Case for the Touch 2nd Generation (Elan Form or RebelTouch)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alchemist7r, Oct 11, 2008.

1. alchemist7r

alchemist7r New Member

This is my first post here..

I am looking for a case for my second generation Touch. Listed below are some of the cases I found on searching in google. I am leaning towards going for the Elan Form or the RebelTouch. I am looking for a case that would not hinder the Touch's functionality in any way, and also offer very good protection, as I am prone to dropping them accidentally. If anyone here has one of these cases, I would welcome suggestions. Thanks.

Griffin Elan Form Hard-Shell Leather Case

Griffin Nu Form

Black duroSHOT case from Incipio

RebelTouch from SwitchEasy
  2. mosgeo2000

mosgeo2000 New Member

I've got and tried both the Elan Form and the Rebel Touch so, for what it's worth, here's my opinion:

Elan Form

Pros: Slides on very easily and bottom section comes off for docking. Looks smart (if you like the leather) and adds little to the overall dimensions of the Touch. Feels very tough and protects from bangs. Only 15 euros.

Cons: Slightest speck of dust underneath case will scratch chrome (and did on mine). Plastic moulding lines inside sliding edges can scratch chrome (and did on mine). Taking bottom part off regularly can scratch chrome. Does not fit with BSE or IS fitted -- I tried and it then took hours to unwedge it back off, a milimetre at a time! Lesson learned! Leather outer coating is very thin and scuffs easily. Polycarb case does not absorb shock particularly well eg drops. Exposed connector port may allow dust to collect and enter case. Volume and power controls are inset and I found it tricky to change volume as I do not have long enough fingernails.

Rebel Touch

Pros: Inner case soft, shock absorbing, fits well. Outer hard exoskeleton a good fit and protects key areas of Touch. I had not problems fitting it. Supplied screen cover actually very good, fits well, no bubbles and no liquid needed when applying. Went on easier than the BSE I had before and (after 2 weeks) seems to do the job. Looks good (if you like slightly unusual design). Excellent array of well thought out 'free' extras, which SwitchEasy didn't need to do but I'm happy they did eg 2 screen protectors, matching connector port plug, dock station adaptor so case doesn't have to be removed. Softer part of case does not appear to scratch easily. Feels protected. Volume and power buttons completely covered but external moulded buttons work brilliantly, I hardly noticed difference.

Cons: Adds more to weight and dimensions of Touch than Elan Form. To me it means my iPod feels less fragile and has a nice heft to it but others may find it spoils the lightness and svelteness (although only marginally IMHO). Unusual design is not for everyone --my wife hates it

Please Register or Log in to view images

Polycarb exoskelton prone to scratches which show (I have black, maybe white shows less) but, to be honest, I would rather it was that than the Touch getting scratched. Others, however, may not like this aspect. For Europeans it is expensive at 25 euros, when it is only 25 dollars in US

Anyway, hope this has given you something to think about. Just my 2p/2c, feel free to take it or leave it

3. alchemist7r

alchemist7r New Member

Thanks for the detailed post, mosgeo2000..much appreciate it. I guess I will go with the RebelTouch case, and Power Support crystal film for the front shield.