Carrier on Device Profile

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Ghetto Toaster, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Ghetto Toaster

Ghetto Toaster New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    In the device profile (where it shows what kind of iDevice you have) there should be the carrier you're on if you have an iPhone.... Just a thought.....
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    How is it illegal?

Apple was selling unlocked iPhones a while ago?
  3. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah... No. If that were true, then anybody mentioning an unlock would get a warning or infraction. That includes both you and me.

It would just be a hassle bgizzle would have to deal with. It's not necessary, so I would just leave it out. I would assume there are more people with iPod touches, as this is an iPod touch site.
  4. SuperNova

SuperNova Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    sorry guys. deleted my post.
    some idiot at the apple store told my friend with an iphone that unlocking it to a different network is illegal.
  5. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sorry to make such a big bump but its shoudn't technically be illegal to unlock unless the carrier you unlock to has something in their contract saying something about it. What IS illegal is for the Dev-Team to MAKE and unlock because the Terms of Usage state not to reverse engineer the software and use it to make anything.
  6. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Actually, just because something is in a terms-of-service doesn't mean it is a LAW. It is a CONTRACT. In fact, the DMCA here in the US has a specific exemption for unlocking cell phones. Even if the exemption didn't exist, just because some company has a contract with you doesn't mean that it is illegal to break it (and in fact, in some cases courts have even found the terms of a contract unenforceable)