Car Mileage Logger

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by bigmike, Jan 7, 2008.

1. bigmike

bigmike New Member

I have to manually log when I use my car for work. At the end of the year I total up my "work" mileage as a percentage of total mileage and I can claim that percentage of all of my car costs (gas, insurance, repairs, etc) as a work expense.

So if if turns out 15% of all my mileage for the year was for work related driving, I can claim 15% of car costs as a work expense.

What I'd love to see is an App where I can enter my initial Odometer reading and then I can create events that have a label (eg: "Trip to ABC Client Inc.") and a category (eg: "Work). For this event, I'll be able to enter the odometer reading at that time. When the trip is over, I enter the new Odometer reading.

The App will log how much of my mileage is used for these events and categories. It would also store it in a data file (.csv or other) which can be exported to a spreadsheet (using Finder or SFTP).

All odometer readings and trips would also be tracked by date so I could see weekly/monthly/yearly statistics.

While not a very glamorous application, I think it would be very useful for myself and a lot of others out there. When I get some spare time I might take a crack at implementing this, but if any of the devs out there think this would be useful, I would love to see it!
  2. Evalocity7

Evalocity7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wow, very nice idea! I can see you put a lot of thought into this, unlike most other people. Nice job, hopefully your idea might be possible.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. reilly2k

reilly2k New Member

4. bigmike

bigmike New Member

Thanks for the link. Seems a bit odd to have an online web app that people would be using from the car.

Which also reminds me, if someone does develop this, please allow an option to display as kilometers for us on the metric system. =)
  5. Oktane999

Oktane999 New Member

I can take a crack at it. Don't expect it for a little while though. Have alot of other projects I'm working on.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. 4nic8tor

4nic8tor New Member

Man, I REALLY could use this app!
  7. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  8. bigmike

bigmike New Member

I have Pumped installed right now and it doesn't allow you to categorize your trips. It just calculates your grand total mileage. That doesn't help me when I want to know how much mileage per month is used for work or personal use.
  9. nclaxmiddy11

nclaxmiddy11 Active Member

Yeah nice job usually people just command their idea to be done
  10. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

there is an app like this in installer

Its in the app-a-day source, although its not that advanced