Car Charger - 'Not Supported'

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by muskamike, Dec 30, 2009.

1. muskamike

muskamike Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I was given a thrid party Car charger, but, it doesn't work with my 3g JB Ipod Touch. It's a USB to AC connection.

Error comes up on screen saying 'not supported, etc'.

Although it works perfect with my Ipod 8GB Nano.

It seems weird that the same connection would only be good for Ipod Nano, and not the touch. Unless the Amp hour rating is different?

If anyone could point me in the right direction, appreciated.

It looks like this, but the connection to AC is a usb. Actually, now that I realize what Im looking at, I might try the OEM usb to ipod connection from apple and then plug to ac, see if that works.

Frigging Weird.

So I tried the OEM usb connection that came with my ipod touch, plugged it into the car, says 'not supported I have two ac adapters, tried the other one, same thing. Then I switched back to the 3rd party one, and it works now. No idea. I'll chalk it up to cheap wiring and maybe something shifted in the 3rd part adaptor

Anyways, I guess I'll leave this up in case someone is as confused as I was.
  2. iPod.Touch

iPod.Touch Active Member

May 24, 2008
    It doesn't work because with 3.0, a lot of accessories were made incompatible, my dock with a 7 inch screen in, for example, no longer works. Also, I too had a car charger that worked on 2.2.1 with my iPod 1G then with 3.0, it was no longer supported. i think that they did this to block out cheap 3rd party charging things. However, I just use landscape TV Out on my iPhone and my dock screen works again and the dock is supported!!!