Capsuletouch + Modded Stand (pictures)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AndyDove21, Mar 1, 2008.

1. AndyDove21

AndyDove21 New Member

I fly long-haul pretty regular and wanted a stand that would hold my 32gb Touch securely, horizontally, and be able to angle the screen to suit ambient light on the tray table. This is what I came up with. Thought I'd share some pictures if anyone is interested in copying it.

The case is the SwitchEasy CapsuleTouch. Very sweet case - extremely happy with it. Using an adhesive screen protector from elsewhere. Also added egrips (google it) who make really grippy stickers for the back of electronics- the CapsuleTouch just felt a little too slippery.

The stand was $12 from RadioShack, and is designed for compact cameras. It had the small bolt thread on it that screws into camera bodies. I took the plastic stand that came with the CapsuleTouch and drilled a hole in it, then pushed a nut into the little void so the screw would just run into it.

The Ipod would sit on the stand, now elevated, very well, but any bump would shake it loose of course. So I took a wire coathanger and bent it with pliers to form a strut. At the top it clips onto the case, and at the bottom it sits in another small hole in the Switcheasy stand. I then covered the metal parts in shrinkwrap. The stand can now be hold upside-down and shaken and the Ipod remains secure.

The stand allows the ipod to sit horizonally or vertically, and it's very stable. The legs can be twisted clover-leaf style (non-slip for tray tables), or spider-style (ideal for sitting on bed sheets in a hotel watching movies).

Working perfectly so far, and great for passing the hours at 38000feet.

/Andy

Attached Files:

2. Intellectual

Intellectual New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good work, looks pretty neat. I belive that that is the Gorillapod?
  3. saysay

saysay New Member

4. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  5. AndyDove21

AndyDove21 New Member

Er, not the Gorillapod

Not the Gorillapod - It's actually the Targus Grypton Portable Tripod which is currently $9.99 from RadioShack. You can see it, at that price, on their website.

I looked at the Gorillapod, but (while it has the word 'pod' in it's name) it doesn't seem to be compatible with the Ipod, which is weird. It's also anything from 2x to 4x the price of the (identical?) Targus one...

The Naja is one I hadn't seem before, but I wonder about stability. I also note that the carriage is only suitable for unsheathed Touches, and how many of us have not employed the services of a case to protect our loved one?

Hope this helps someone make thier own! Post pictures?

/Andy
  6. saysay

saysay New Member

But for the naja, you can bend the grips to fit a case. I'm sure it's pretty stable considering what it's made of (the weight will keep it down firmly) or there's always the ped3 stand.
  7. Intellectual

Intellectual New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The Gorillapod has the word 'pod' in it because it is accualy a camera tripod. I've been looking at it for my Cybershot but it's quite expensive. Now that you mention the identical Targus tripod, I think i'll go for that...
  8. iclone

iclone New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    does it stick in position if u touch or use the pod? looks good