Cap Polarity??

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by francis, Jan 3, 2008.

1. francis

francis New Member

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to build the mic that Touchmods is selling, based on their posted instructions:
    http://touchmods.blog.com/2420619/

I'm ordering parts from DigiKey, and I'm trying to figure out which way the capacitor goes: (+) of cap to (+) of mic? or (-) of cap to (+) of mic?

Here's what touchmods says:
    So.. I would measure the voltage of the mic by itself, and that would tell me which way the cap goes?

Couldn't I just solve this by using a "non-polar" capacitor, like a ceramic or film capacitor? why does it have to be polarized?
  2. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

This confuses me :S

If I were you I would join their IRC channel and ask this question...
  3. francis

francis New Member

I've checked out the irc channel several times over the past week, no one seems to have any answers as of yet

Please Register or Log in to view images

there doesn't appear to be any way to contact touchmods directly, either. I've simplified my post above, if that helps

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. iamnohero

iamnohero New Member

I don't think it has to be a polarized capacitor, but I don't really see the problem..
  5. francis

francis New Member

The "problem" is that tantalum caps ARE polarized - I want to know how to connect it properly.

However I emailed Marian from Touchmods and he clarified everything for me!

Basically you measure the mic's voltage by itself. If it reads higher than 1.66, positive side goes to the mic. if lower than 1.66, the negative side goes to the mic. Even though tantalum caps are polarized, the difference is negligable, however that is the proper way to do it (if you're really picky like me).