Can't view .plist files. Help?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Havoc443, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Havoc443

Havoc443 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys,

First off, I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, I searched up .plist problems, etc. and nothing relevant came up so I'm asking here. I recently decided to upgrade my touch to 1.1.2 firmware but when I did I had a whoel tonne of problems with it so I just decided I'd rather have 1.1.1 back and so I restored my touch and installed a fresh copy of firmware 1.1.1. Now I am trying to get it back the way I like it (iphone apps, ipod icon, etc.) and I've come across a problem where when I try and open up the .plist files (specifically N45AP.plist to change the ipod icon) it won't display the code properly as it did before, it just opens and shows a few lines of random symbols with a few coherent words mixed in. Im sure this is something simple but its beyond me at the moment so if anyone knows how I can open the files properly (which program is it supposed to open in btw?) I would be thrilled. Thanks.
  2. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

You don't need to open it to put it on your iPod. I am kind of confused about what you are specifically trying to do. My guess is that you have the N45AP.plist file back up on your computer and you want to put it back onto your iPod so you can getting the settings back to normal. All you have to do is open up your SFTP client and navigate to Media_sym>System>Library>CoreServices>Springboard.app and place the .plist file in there, say yes if it asks you to replace the existing file.

If this is not what you are trying to do please tell me.
  3. Havoc443

Havoc443 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No that's not the problem, sorry I'll explain a little better. One of the threads on the site is how to get rid of the Music and Video Icons and replace them with one iPod icon. To do this you have to edit a couple lines of code in the N45AP.plist file but when I open the file, it isn't displaying the code properly so I can't edit it. I just get a whole bunch of weird symbols combined with some numbers and words.

This is what I'm seeing...

Code:
    bplist00Ó
    Wbundles\capabilities\displayOrder*Ò _editableUserData]piezo-clicker		Ó
    
    WspecialYbuttonBarXiconList¢Ñ_displayIdentifier_com.apple.springboardÑ_com.apple.DemoApp¤Ñ_ com.apple.mobileipod-AudioPlayerÑ_ com.apple.mobileipod-VideoPlayerÑ_ com.apple.mobileslideshow-PhotosÑ_com.apple.MobileStore§ "$&(*Ñ_com.apple.mobilesafariÑ!_com.apple.youtubeÑ#_com.apple.mobilecalÑ%_com.apple.MobileAddressBookÑ'_com.apple.mobiletimerÑ)_com.apple.calculatorÑ+_com.apple.Preferences
    but this is what I should be seeing...

Code:
    <dict>
    <key>buttonBar</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>displayIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.mobileipod-MediaPlayer</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
    <string>com.apple.mobilesafari</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
    <string>com.apple.mobilemail</string>
    </dict>
    </array>
    <key>iconList</key>
  4. xALeXzx

xALeXzx Active Member

Yeah, same for me. I try a lot of programs to open a .plist file of 1.1.2 and only see unknown letters. I'm trying to edit Weather.app Info.plist to 1.1.2 and i can't -.-
  5. frozone

frozone New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    has anybody found a solution for this? I was trying to use iOrder, but it can't parse the file because it is all messed up

Please Register or Log in to view images

But my iPod ist still working correctly somehow.

Would be glad to here some answers. Thanks in advance!
  6. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The iPod converts them to binary, you can use this website to convert the binary .plist back to text: http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi

It's safe to put back a text .plist on the iPod/iPhone.

On a MAC, there are tools like plutil to handle those files, on Windows I yet have to see one that works correctly. There is a Perl script out there, I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: This script can be found here
  7. Havoc443

Havoc443 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Awesome, I'll try that out when I get home and post if it works for me. The other day the files I needed to alter just started opening properly all of the sudden (weird

Please Register or Log in to view images

) but I have run into others that still aren't working properly so I'll definately test this out.