Can't use 7.5 because Library was made in 7.6

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by seanmp, Jan 28, 2008.

1. seanmp

seanmp New Member

So I need to downgrade to 7.5, I uninstall iTunes, then reinstall iTunes 7.5. I load up 7.5 and it won't start up because the iTunes library was made in a newer version, how would I convert it down so 7.5 can load and I can jailbreak 1.1.2 so I can move on to jailbreak 1.1.3

I had 1.1.3 jailbroken before the official installer release, so I downgraded back to 1.1.1 and now I'm screwed unless I can fix this
  2. kappatango

kappatango New Member

I had the same problem. My only fix was to install iTunes 7.5 on a DIFFERENT computer, and use that to perform the restores.

If you have already tried with iTunes 7.6, and you now get the oktoprep error, try goiung back to the 7.5 on another machine, putting your ipod into restore mode, then HOLD the HOME BUTTON for the duration of the RESTORE to 1.1.1

Then use 7.5 again to JB >>> 1.1.2

Took me about 3 hours to get around it, I will try to find the link I used
  3. Slacker

Slacker New Member

Hold down alt when you click iTunes, then select create new library. Make sure you save the new library in a different place than your current library though.
  4. kappatango

kappatango New Member

5. Kidchop

Kidchop Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Go My music > Itunes (folder) > Deleted the two Itunes music files and you have start a new one just be opening up itunes
  6. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

If you find the library database file, which will be in the root of the iTunes folder, which on XP is here:

C:/Documents and Settings/[Your Username]/My Documents/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl

You can simply move this file out of it's directory, open iTunes 7.5, run the upgrade to 1.1.2, jailbreak it and check it works, then reinstall 7.6 and place the library database back where it came from.

Don't do what he says and delete them, because you will lose all your play counts and track ratings. Just store them somewhere else until you have upgraded back up to 7.6.

Oh, and if iTunes 7.5 creates a new database, you can either delete it or store it somewhere in case you need it again.

What would be even better would be if you could track down an old copy of the database from a backup (which is what I did), but I know that a lot of people don't back up their PCs that regularly.
  7. seanmp

seanmp New Member

Thanks everyone, I'm on a mac but I'll move onto my laptop to do the jailbreaking, then I switch to my mac on 7.6 to sync my iPod right?
  8. Loudmouth2332

Loudmouth2332 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you are going ot try and jump back and forth between 7.6 and 7.5, here is what i did to conserve my library

If you are on a mac, go into "Music" in finder and make a copy of the file called "itunes," put it on a flash drive or your desktop for safe keeping, then delete the contents of that folder and do your downgrade. If you can get it to work (personally I couldn't get 7.5 to recognize my ipot so I just used 7.6 and the iNdependence method-search it, it works great!) then after you upgrade to 7.6 again, just copy the contents of that old itunes file you put on your desktop before into the itunes file, overwirting the files 7.5 created, restart itunes when this is finished and then you don't have to go through the hassle of readding your entire library unless you want to stay on 7.5...in which case you need to rebuild your library.

Hope this helped.
  9. SladeX

SladeX New Member

Why not just export your library?

You don't need to stick with 7.5 AFTER you've jailbroken your iPod. You can just reinstall 7.6 and use the same library again. It's not like you are going to jailbreak every other day anyways.
  10. dmac

dmac New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    you can just place your music folder in the trash while you do the jailbreak this will let you open iTunes 7.5 DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH. When your finished just move the folder back again