Can't restore to 3.0! Dreaded 1604 error

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by junior2oo, Jan 3, 2010.

1. junior2oo

junior2oo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Ohh lawd, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've just about tried every method there is to get rid of this error. From Ending iTunes in Task Manger to Deleting everything in Apple Computer.

I've changed ports, reinstalled, restarted, made sure the firmware was legit, been patient during the hanging "Preparing ipod for restore".

NOTHING. is working for me, does anyone have a fix for me? There shoould definately be a sticky thread for this, because I haven't found any good fixes yet, and one thread with all the possible fixes would have cut down on my 3 day venture to nowhere.

Well, any ideas? Please no obvious tricks, I'm very irritated, and have tried EVERYTHING.

Please Register or Log in to view images

edit: Oh, and I'm on windows with a 2.2.1 iTouch 2g jailbroken trying to restore to 3.0
    edit: I'm also using the latest itunes, freshly downloaded from the site today.
  2. Retro.Kicks.Ass

Retro.Kicks.Ass Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What version of iTunes are you using?
    I think 8.0.2 is the earliest that adds OS 3.x.x compatability. If you're using the latest version They've made it that you have to be restoring to the latest firmware. (I think that's how it is.) I tried restoring to 3.0 from 3.1.2 on iTunes whatever.whatever (the second-to-latest one) to get verbose boot, but it didn't work and when I asked around that's the information I got. But when I tried to restore to 3.0 on another computer with 8.0.2.2 (I felt so cool writing that) I got an error aswell and had to stick with 3.1.2

. Hoping I could give some help lol. If not, sorry and good luck!
  3. junior2oo

junior2oo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Thanks! At this point any advise will do.
    I'll give it a try, I've got the latest iTunes, that new shiny one is the newest I suppose.
    But yeah, thanks! Any more ideas?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    If it's any help, when it begins the "Preparing for restore" process,the screen on my iTouch flashes white and then turns black again and is no longer recognized by the computer until put back into recovery mode. Is it supposed to do this?
  4. Retro.Kicks.Ass

Retro.Kicks.Ass Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yep, that happened to me all the time. Just plug it in and restore, but because you're using the new and improved shiny iTunes you'll probably have to restore to 3.1.2. It's a bummer

5. junior2oo

junior2oo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    ALSO. One last thing before I go to bed.

I've messed around with it a bit, and I've noticed that When the ipod disconnects during the update when I start at recovery mode or normal mode, it doesn't reconnect, the computer says it's an unrecognized usb device.

I heard it was something like a "Semi-DFU" Where it's not recognized by the computer until to set it back to restore mode, but I do have a strong feeling that this is why the ipod is not being Prepared for Restore.

LASTLY, I've tried restoreing directly from dfu mode, and that also lags at "Preparing iPod for Restore" But the screen turns white and I get an error, and the screen stays white until I put it back into restore mode. Again, raising suspicion that it might be a libusb problem, although I've already reinstalled it, but not restarted.

Fyooh.. I really hope this helps anybody that's iPod saavy. I can't beleive Apple hasn't done anything about this.

Please keep this thread alive, I'll be back in the morning for a bit,any advice is better than nothing, thanks!
  6. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you can use iTunes 8.0.2 and use DFU to restore to a 3.0 .ipsw
  7. junior2oo

junior2oo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    So is the error new to the software?

How wil downgrading iTunes help? I'm good to try it though, but I'm curous as to how this would help.
  8. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iTunes 9 doesn't let you downgrade to firmware under 3.1.x.
  9. junior2oo

junior2oo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Well, I fixed the error, sort of.

I was already planning on upgrading from XP to Windows 7, and after the upgrade the restore worked. Apparently it's a driver issue where the iPod was not being recognized by the computer at one point of the restore.

My suggestions, reinstall the apple ipod drivers, or you could reinstall the os, I recommend 7.
  10. sbowesuk

sbowesuk New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Simple solution: Don't jailbreak.

Seriously, I laugh so hard when jailbroken devices stop working. That's what you get for f***ing around, lol!