Can't restore iPod Touch G1 Errors 1601 and 1611

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stonebot, Aug 30, 2009.

1. stonebot

stonebot New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi

I just recently got an error on my ipod touch where it showed the connect to itunes restore screen plus the battery symbol. I plugged it in and it sensed the ipod not under recovery mode and asked me to type in my passcode to continue which I could not because the ipod was messed up.

Then I put it in Recovery mode and Itunes sensed it. I then started recovery it started running ect. At the end of preparing ipod for recovery it stopped and gave me error 1611.

So I tried doing it under DFU mode. Same thing itunes sensed it. I started recovery at the end of preparing the ipod for recovery it gave me error 1601.

I have retried it multiple times and it always gives me 1611 for recovery mode 1601 for DFU mode.

After trying to restore, It no longer goes into that defualt mode that showed the plug in to itunes. Now it defualts into recovery mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stonebot

EDIT: I tried restoring with firmwares 3.0 and 2.2.1
  2. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's a more common problem than you think. Try googling it. It's been answered countless times... Even I experienced it. Solved it by creating a fresh user within Windows XP (NOT Vista) and simply switching the USB port.
  3. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can try not shift+clicking to downloaded firmwares and do it the right way...
  4. stonebot

stonebot New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks, I got a third error a 1604 error and I googled it and found something for it, I did it and it worked. The only reason I posted this thread was because all solutions that I had tried failed...

Thanks
    Stonebot
  5. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I remember I once clicked the Restore button without holding shift and it downloaded OS 3.0 free of charge.

Please Register or Log in to view images

stonebot, care to tell us what method solved the problem ? Please share your finding (a link, something) so someone else in your shoes will be able to easily solve it.
  6. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Its because when you put it in DFU Mode and click Restore, it will download the latest firmware legally, and free of charge.

And it cant be illegal because

1) Apple Made DFU Mode, and
    2) Apple Made the iTunes RESTORE button.

So its all their fault, were just using the exploit to our advantage, which is perfectly legal.