Cant restore Icons back to default.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dlicious, Nov 12, 2007.

1. dlicious

dlicious New Member

I installed Customize.app and changed my icon order. However, it would only let me put 2 icons on the bottom Dock. Now I want to restore it back to the default order but do not know how! Can anyone help?
  2. slim8589

slim8589 New Member

I have exactly the same problem! Seeing that customize had been updated and offered touch compatability I thought I'd give it a try.....bugger. It doesn't even recognize or list the music and video icons and now I am also stuck with only 2 icons in the dock.
    While I love these hackers it pisses me off when stuff is released that clearly has not been thoroughly tested.
    We need a quick and easy solution that doesn't mean restoring the ipod and starting the whole process again.
    Any clues anybody?
  3. slim8589

slim8589 New Member

Ok, check on installer, they have updated again and it is now possible to put 4 icons on the dock but there are still no listings for music and videos so they get shunted to last place, which in my case is the second screen....grrrr
    Still it is getting better, let's hope they address the issues as the app is good.
  4. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    oh crap, I just updated customize. Yeah this is pretty buggy.
  5. slim8589

slim8589 New Member

Right here's what to do.

I am a complete newbie where this is all concerned. So if I can do it any idiot can.

I have never edited a plist or really used terminal but I know my way around a computer so took a chance and had a go.

First off get access to your ipod using cyberduck using the instructions at www.touchdev.net/wiki/jailbreak_guide
    Not sure if you have to do the terminal bit first to get it working but I did.

If you have never used terminal before it is in utilities and once it is open type ssh -l 123.456.7.8 (that's a lower case l not a 1 and the numbers are the ones found in your ipods wifi settings)

Then download the N45AP.plist from your touch using cyberduck (you'll find the list in /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app) to your desktop.

Make a copy of the list and put it somewhere else safe (in case you screw up).

Now you can't simply edit this file and I did not have a suitable program in utilities to open it so I followed some other instructions for the next bit.

Go back to terminal and type cd desktop and hit return.

now type plutil -convert xml1 N45AP.plist

Now go to the desktop and open the N45AP.plist file with text editor and scroll down till you see the words buttonbar

Now you'll see some code is very easy to understand, the dock is first and the list will match what you can see on your dock (assuming you have installed 1.17 of customize you'll now have it set with 4 dock icons but still not music and videos which is what I wanted on the dock again)

You can now type in the simple codes such as com.apple.mobileipod-AudioPlayer or com.apple.mobileipod-VideoPlayer between the <string> bits of code as with all the others.

You can place stuff wherever you like.

Save the file and then using cyberduck copy it back to the same place you got it from and overwrite the file on your ipod.

Obviously I take no responsibility if it goes wrong but honestly if I can do it anyone can.

By the way, for some reason customizer also add something demo.app, which was pissing me off as it didn't seem to do anything so I just deleted from the applications folder using cyberduck.

Having done all this from scratch tonigh I feel like athe master of the universe, which will probably mean it's all going tits up later.
  6. brianwong

brianwong New Member

This forum is a life saver! I too made the stupid mistake of installing Customize and it cost me 3 hours to figure it out!!! There needs to be a big STICKY warning about customize!!

Finally, I got to restore my dock icons and also customize the order of my apps using the instructions from this thread:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2714&highlight=iorder

The iOrder application is pretty cool. I use a Mac so I had to run it on my Windows XP running on Parallels! Also, I had a problem as I could not connect to my iPod Touch with CyberDuck after updated to firmware 1.1.2 and jailbreaking it.

The solutions was to install BSD Subsystem and Open SSH. After that, CyberDuck could connect like before.

I hope this post will help some of you and again I say.... "DON'T INSTALL CUSTOMIZE!!"
  7. pawel25

pawel25 New Member

hi
    I had same problem
    thankx so much
    for help
  8. Haruyuki

Haruyuki New Member

Customize ver 1.17 is buggy, new ver 1.18 fix the application ordering problem.