iOS 4.3 can't restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by mvmacd, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mvmacd

mvmacd Member

I have a IPT 4g, 64GB:
    I just downloaded 4.3.1 and shift+click "restore"d it. Then in itunes, I right-clicked it, and "Restore from Backup..." then I select "Matt's iPod" and click Restore. There's a progress bar.. I let it run a while, and then an error popped up: itunes could not restore the ipod "Matt's iPod" because the backup could not be saved on the computer
    I then noticed I have like 28.0KB free disk space on my C drive, while I had about 2 or 3GB before. So I go to C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
    and I noticed not 1, but 2 folders. I checked the size on them. The first one is 4.48GB, and the second one is 3.23GB. I removed all but one [the first] to the recycle bin. My backup still showed up in iTunes so I moved the folder to the Desktop, and my backup disappeared, so I knew I had the right backup. Then I put the backup folder back into the right place, and emptied the recycle. Then I reset all content and settings from my Touch and when itunes asked, I restored from my backup "Matt's iPod".... the same thing happened! what is the deal? why is it making a new backup? [presumably from my old one? because it gets up to 3GB before my disk fills up and quits] meanwhile I will try to free up another GB or 2 of space and see if it will restore if it has enough space... =-\

btw, why is my "backup" 4GB?? isn't that big? it's just notes and settings and pics? I only have images, not videos, so it should not be that huge =(

edit: I finally found enough programs/files/etc to delete.. and it successfully restored! but why did it make another 'backup'?! meh, stupid iTunes. -.-
  2. samw40

samw40 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    From now on, I suggest deleting backups from iTunes > Edit > Preferences. As for the files sizes, my backup folder contains 18 folders (I sync multiple devices). They range from 481 KB to 340 MB. All-in-all, my "Backup" folder is 2.85 GB. It is very surprising that your backups are so large. Maybe different devices have different backup sizes? I have an iPhone 3GS and an iPod touch 2G, while you have an iPod touch 4G (lucky! :D).
  3. mvmacd

mvmacd Member

Hahah! Well I would have tried deleting the backup, and then making a new backup. but I had already nuked my files by restoring to 4.3.1! I just JB'ed it with redsn0w.. and I was afraid for a bit because it kept crashing on the "uploading ramdisk".. I googled and found that you have to set it to only use 1 cpu. and xp compatibility mode, and run as admin.. and then it worked!
  4. samw40

samw40 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I remember getting stuck on that once, so I just used limera1n. I wonder if the jailbreak has anything to do with those huge backup sizes...
  5. mvmacd

mvmacd Member

Ha! I found out why it was so huge! silly me... I had put lots of movies in OPlayer. and it saved each AVI in the BACKUP!! LOL! I found out by downloading iBackupBot, to view a backup's contents and looked for big files ;)

EDIT: So I deleted the avi's, and now my backup is 402 MB! yay!
  6. samw40

samw40 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    That might be the reason... XD :D
  7. mvmacd

mvmacd Member

Yep. Oh and btw about using limera1n, um, I wasn't having issues jailbreaking. Just restoring from backup. And I would use limera1n, except it doesn't work for 4.3.1. Limera1n was the 2nd best jailbreak ever!!! The first best is jailbreakme.com but only works for 4.0.1 and below or something like that.. I actually had to try about 2 or 3 times before I got it with redsn0w before I finally got it to quit crashing when uploading the ramdisk
  8. mmauro

mmauro New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Set it up as a new phone. Updated iTunes.
    The problem is to do with the jailbreak itself. As i plugged another iPhone 4 into iTunes and the restore button was usable. I plugged in the newly Jailbroken iPhone 4 into a different desktop, same problem. But I solve the problem follow the steps of the article how to restore from backup, which is helpful and easy.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  9. kw kernel

kw kernel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The updated version of jailbreakme.com works on 4.3.1 as long as your not on an iPad 2 ;)