Can't open Installer.app!

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Installer.app' started by Lexico, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Lexico

Lexico New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello, I was hoping you can help me with this...
    It's really quite hard to explain, so I made a little video of what happens (it's only 9 seconds long, please watch it): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8305376547925952607&hl=en
    The thing is... I updated the Installer.app (this was quite a few months ago, I believe prior to version 3.0), and after the update was completed (succesfully, no errors), this happens, what you saw on the video... now I can't open Installer.app, and therefore, I can't install nor update any software...

I've tried to find the package on the internet, so I could download it and copy it directly to the iPod (replacing my current Installer.app), but I couldn't find it anywhere! So I really don't know what to do!

Any help?

PS: I have firmware 1.1.1... never upgraded it, not even to 1.1.2...
    PS2: Reading the forum, I discovered that this has happened before to someone... the solution was to download some file, but this file was uploaded on Sendspace and now it's no longer available. The post was this: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=258793&postcount=9
    Does anyone know what that file was and how could I get it now (perhaps the user who wrote that, masterxchief46, still has that file)?
  2. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'll upload my installer.app,

Put it in applications duh

Change permissions to 755

then run this command in SSH

Attached Files:

3. Lexico

Lexico New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Still doesn't work

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've done everything you told me, but it stills shows the same... white screen then returns to the springboard...

Great idea though! Thanks anyway

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Lexico

Lexico New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    UPDATE!
    Trying to find a solution, I saw that the file /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/M68AP.plist is practically unreadable... it's all nonsense characters and not an XML file like (I think) it's supposed to be...
    Could that be causing this? And if it is, how can I fix it?

Here's the file attached for you to see...

Attached Files:

5. swissmast

swissmast New Member

same problem here

here ist my threat with one idea that could help:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32623
  6. Lexico

Lexico New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Tried it, but on the last line (chown -R root:wheel Installer.app) it threw me an exception: "Memory exhausted"...
    BTW, since I can't access via SSH (I don't have wi-fi at home), I've done all that through the iPod itself, using Terminal... I believe it's the same, isn't it?
  7. pcman2001

pcman2001 New Member

Damn, I have the same issue.
  8. Hungern

Hungern New Member

Emm Using WinSCp.

Make sure ya have free space, and when re-placing the installer.app folder through SSH.
    Delete it, then paste the map in. When I tried to just overplace it, it diden't work- strange.

EDIT
    Found, while searching
    http://kevinjung.ca/?p=219

Don't know whoose site it is, but the guide works.
  9. Lexico

Lexico New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have a lot of free space, and I've already tried to replace it, with several different versions that I've found (even the one posted here), but nothing worked... they all had the same effect... as soon as I opened them, they shut down... (in case you're wondering, yes, I restarted the iPod after copying the files)
    I tried it in any way I could... replacing the original file... deleting the original and then moving the new one... changing the name... nothing worked...

I'll read that guide, but it says that is for iPhone 1.1.3 and I have iPod Touch 1.1.1...

Well, thanks anyway...
  10. Hungern

Hungern New Member

If you're on 1.1.1 why not just re-jailbreak.
    Takes about 5min.