Can't import MPEG-2 AAC into iTunes

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Nintendork, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have an MPEG-2 Advanced Audio Coding file that I obtained via ripping audio from a downloaded YouTube music video, then used a free software to convert the .flv to a homemade .mp3 file. But iTunes won't import it, unlike my many other homemade .mp3 files (they were all .mp3 format, though) obtained from the same method that it has accepted.

I've tried regular importing, drag & drop, but nothing works, it won't import into iTunes. Does iTunes not support MPEG-2 AAC files or something? I heard it could be the bitrates or other trivial information that iTunes is being picky about. But please just help.

I'll provide you with the file's specs using Media Info:

General
    Complete name : Private
    Format : ADTS
    Format/Info : Audio Data Transport Stream
    File size : 3.06 MiB

Audio
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 4
    Format profile : LC
    Muxing mode : ADTS
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Stream size : 3.06 MiB (100%)
  2. I had the same problem with the .aac files created by FLVExtract. I assume that iTunes does not like the ADTS container. I worked around the problem as follows:

1. convert the FLV file to H.264 format (I use Video Monkey)
    2. open the H.264 file in MPEG Streamclip (free software) and use the save audio only feature and select AAC format

The resulting audio file has a .m4a extension which iTunes is happy with.

A little bit of a hassle, but step 1 is necessary if you also want to view the FLV file on your iPod.

Hope that helps!
  3. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    =\

Thanks for the help but that's way too much to do lol.

I'll just stick with 64kbps files ._.

But thanks for yuor help.
  4. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I can't start Video Monkey. It came without a shortcut that you double click to boot it up...
  5. You can go into the appropriate application program folder and create a shortcut yourself.
  6. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think Video Monkey is only for Mac because when I looked in the "MacOS" folder, it had the program in it and was not possible to open it. So I just used WinFF to convert the video to H264. It's the same type of program as Video Monkey.

Also, I did everything you said, but the audio is still extremely crappy... I even told it to output the audio to 256kbps, and it still sounds like it's 8kbps...

Edit: I found a solution! All I had to do was use a different FLV - MP3 conversion program than FLVExtract, which would always output any high-quality file to MPEG-2 AAC. Freez FLV to MP3 Converter lets me choose what I want the bit rate and sampling rate to be, which FLVExtract didn't let me choose and would always by default output to terrible bit rates and sampling rates.
  7. Oh, you're a Windows user!

Glad to see that you found a solution.

I also saw your thread over at the videohelp site. Those folks are very knowledgeable. So, the bottom line seems to be that we can't simply "extract" the audio from Youtube clips because the audio format can't be imported into iTunes. We need to convert to a format that can be imported into iTunes, either mp3 (e.g. with the Freez program) or a iTunes-compatible aac format (e.g. using MPEG Streamclip).
  8. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That's exactly what my problem was the entire time.

Yeah, I'm a Windows user. I have Windows XP Home SP3.

Lol really? weird that you go to that site, too. I could extract and import to iTunes, but that can only be done with low-quality FLVs. If I extract high-quality FLVs, it's in a different format, and I have to convert it to .mp3 so iTunes can import it.
  9. In case you're interested, it seems that the date the clip was uploaded to YouTube determines if the audio format is compatible with iTunes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#Quality_and_codecs

This link indicates that audio for clips uploaded before February 2009 were encoded as MP3, while those uploaded from February 2009 were encoded as AAC (apparently an AAC format that is not compatible with iTunes).
  10. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Cool, thanks for that tip.