Can't get iWol to work

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by felixen, Jul 23, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I typed in the ip correct, and I think the mac adress too (it's the one called physical address on my comp, right? If so, I type two letters then a colon then the next two letters and so on, right).

Anyway, here's what I think is the problem:
    "In order for this to work via the internet your router needs to be able to foward the magic packet from a port (e.g. 7 ) to the LAN IP of the computer you want to wake up."

I don't know what this means. What's a magic packet, and how do I use it? I have a linksys router btw
  2. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    please help me out. I always wanted an app like this so I really want it to work
  3. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Does your computer support WOL and is it enabled?
    You'll need to check your BIOS for this.
  4. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    damn this may be more advanced than I thought.. I dunno if my computer supports this, I thought it would work on any comp... how do I find out?
  5. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Like I said, check for WOL settings in your BIOS.
    Read your motherboard manual or look it up online if you don't know how.
  6. alirz

alirz New Member

first make sure you computer supports it!! then make sure it is enabled in windows device manager.i.e if u are uwing windows.
    Any comptuer withing the past 3-4 years should suppor this
    if you are behind a router then forget about it. setup is a bit hard. you need to custom flash your router, given that it is custom flashable, inorder to give some linux commands in order to have the router send the packet to the correct computer based on its MAC address.
    Reason for doing that is because when the computer is OFF the router does not know the ip of the computer as it does not have one.
    Once all of that is done port forwarding will need to be setup also.

Took me a while to figure all the stuff but this works like a charm!!! i can even send wakeup packet from my iphone 3g to turn the computer ON, use teleport or mochaVNC to remote to the computer from the phone and do whatever i need to do.
  7. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    damn sounds like im in WAY over my head here, I could never pull this off. Sounds sweet though. But does your computer have to be on standby or can you even turn it on if the computer is shut down?
  8. alirz

alirz New Member

even if its off it can be turned ON.
  9. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    man thats ill, I gotta find some step by step guide or something.. first I need for iLol (nice one kenobi) to be released on 2.0
  10. cs475x

cs475x New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    go to whatismyip.com and type your ip into the host area on iwol on your ipod/iphone

then click on the start menu, right click on My Computer on the right side and click Properties on the bottom of the list

click the hardware tab

click the 'Device Manager' button

click the [+] for 'Network adpaters'

double click the network adapter you are using

click advanced

in the left box, find and click on "WakeOnLAN From PowerOff" then on the right side make sure it is set to On or Enable

then click power management

make sure the checkbox next to "Allow this device to bring my computer out of standby" is checked

login to your router via your web browser

go to port forwarding (Applications and Gaming for Linksys)

then name if whatever you want like iWOL then make the start and end ports the port you have chosen to use in iWOL and set it to UDP and type the ip address of your computer you wish to use iWOL with (you can use other ports for other pcs)

then save your changes

go to http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx

type what you see in the box to the right of 'Your Network Cards Mac Address' into the MAC area on iWOL

save your settings in iWOL, turn your pc into sleep mode and try it out... u can im me for help