Can't download / install app updates in 2.2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Canuck, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Canuck

Canuck New Member

Okay, well ever since I upgraded to 2.2 (and jailbroke it) on my 16GB iPhone 3G, I haven't been able to properly install updates for apps on the iPhone itself. It simply stalls after it says it has finished downloading the update and is installing it - the progress bar is stuck and my app is then rendered useless until I update it through iTunes, and then sync it with my iPhone. It's extremely frustrating, and I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue or if there are any solutions to this problem, as it would be greatly appreciated. I've already tried restarting many times and do not want to restore because I've gone through the painful process of updating and jailbreaking twice for 2.2 already, and would not like to do it again.
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

I usually suggest only updating applications one at a time - that tends to fix most update issues. Beyond that, what error message do you get when it stalls? It should give you SOMETHING - like that it couldn't complete. If it freezes, have you tried tapping the icon once to unpause it?
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There's a lot of reports of problems with 2.2... have a look here. It might help.
  4. Jarlath

Most of those problems with 2.2 are either iPhone specific (3G performance issues, battery issues) or else are related to people who don't know what the hell they're doing and trying rather stupid things (trying to get Customize working on 2.2, trying to crack the DRM by using files from 2.1, etc), from what I can see - they just blame Firmware 2.2 so they can pretend they did nothing wrong, many of them. Certainly it's not like 2.0 or 2.0.1 where things were definitely going to hell because Apple released some very bad code on everyone.
  5. Canuck

Canuck New Member

Well thanks for the help. Unfortunately, it seems that even if I just do updates one at a time, I still get this problem. Occasionally, I'll just a simple "Unable to download from iTunes" (I can't remember the exact error, but it goes something like that), but that's the only error I get. It could be a problem with jailbroken iPhones only, but after a fair amount of searching, I've only found one other user who is also experiencing this problem, so maybe not.

And my iPhone never freezes or anything terrible when it can't update - the app just sits there, stuck at the beginning of the "Install" phase of the update. So I can still use everything else without a problem, but that app is simply stuck trying to update until I deal with it through iTunes.
  6. Jarlath

Well, there ARE reported iPhone issues, but mostly it has to do with the 3G radio. Are you doing your App Store updates via WiFi or 3G? The latter is... problematic right now. Alo, have you tried tapping the icon of the downloading file to pause or unpause the download? Or, worst comes to worst, deleting the half-downloaded file by using the hold-delete, then resetting the iPod and letting it download anew?
  7. Canuck

Canuck New Member

3G isn't the problem, it happens whether it's on EDGE, 3G or WiFi. I've also tried pausing it, which doesn't seem to work. But I haven't yet tried deleting it yet, so that's worth a shot.

I should also mention that at times I also have trouble installing ANY app, whether it's an update or a new app. Sometimes installing new apps works, and sometimes the exact same problem as when I update my apps occurs.
  8. citizenstrange

citizenstrange New Member

• Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    I had the same problem with the 2.2 update. I figured out that the problem was an incompatible Mobileinstallation file. Many posters were assuming they could use the same file from 2.1, so they posted the old file labeled as 2.2. You need to download the new version for things to work properly.

find it here:

<removed>