Can't downgrade to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2..."UNKNOWN ERROR (1)" ON OVER 20 TRIES

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by 996gt2, Jan 31, 2008.

1. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

Since I jailbroke my Touch last week, one of my friends wanted me to do it for his 8GB Touch as well. I began by trying to downgrade his 1.1.3 firmware to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. I held down home and sleep for 10 seconds, then pressed sleep again while holding down home to enter recovery mode while the iPod was connected to the computer.. Then, as it prompted me to recover, I selected the 1.1.1 firmware I had downloaded last week. It gave me the "The iPod could not be restored. Unknown error (1)." I tried again with my 1.1.2 .ipsw with the same results. I then uninstalled itunes and tried again, with no success. I even tried on several different computers (including a Macbook Pro running OS X) and each time I get the "Unknown Error (1)."

However, when I just press "restore" without holding shift, it will allow me to restore to 1.1.3 without issues. Why does this work fine when the other two firmware versions do not?

What truly confuses me is that my own iPod Touch was able to be downgraded to 1.1.1 from 1.1.3 without ANY issues on my computer. So what's going on with my friend's?

Thanks
  2. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

bump 10char
  3. hec204

hec204 New Member

I'm having the same problem... Could it be that apple found some way to stop downgrades with the newest iPod's that include the new apps?
    I'm going to try downgrading to iTunes 7.5 to see if it works
  4. Gaming Warrior

Gaming Warrior New Member

1. Make sure your ipod is on and at the Main Menu.
    2. Plug your iPod Touch into your computer.
    3. Press and hold the home button and the sleep/wake button.
    3. Count to 10 and then release the sleep/wake button but contiune to hold the home button.
    4. In few seconds you will see the iPod show up in iTunes(note: The screen of the iPod should be Black, If its showing the connect to iTunes image you held the power button for too long).
    7. Now just click the restore button and wait(Note: If you would like to go to an older firmware when you restore hold Shift while clicking restore and locate the firmware file.) Once done you will have your iPod back at original state.
  5. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

Gamingwarrier, I have tried that very same method countless times. It's not the fact that I can't get to the restore menu...I CAN...it's that the restore FAILS with "Unknown Error (1)" after the first "extracting software" part of the restore is finished...ONLY when I restore to 1.1.3 through "restore and update" does this not happen. When I try to use 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 for restoring with shift-click it always fails due to the error described before. I have tried 3 versions of iTunes (7.6, 7.5, 7.4) and several computers (my custom built one, a friend's gateway, and a Macbook Pro with OS X). I get the SAME EXACT error every time.
  6. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

Search. Go to iPodTouchMasters youtube page for a video, just use google.
  7. Gaming Warrior

Gaming Warrior New Member

when you do it are you getting the connect to itunes image on your ipod??
  8. prominator

prominator New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)

Well if you been in the restore menu how does it look?
  9. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

After I press the button combination, iTunes gives me the "An iPod in recovery mode has been detected" message and takes me to the restore menu. From there, I shift-click and get a browse window asking me to select a .ipsw. However, if I pick either my 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 .ipsw, the restore will begin, but will fail out after the "Extracting software" progress bar is completed. Then I'm back at my music library screen with a dialog that says "Unable to restore iPod. Unknown error (1) has occured."

When I tried the 1.1.3 to 1.1.1 downgrade on my own Touch, it worked without any issues. I have no clue why my friend's iPod is behaving the way it is...
  10. prominator

prominator New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    How does the ipod appear in restore menu?
    the screen should be totally black.