Can't Delete "Webclips" - just get a spinny wheel. Any way to SSH them out?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by sdschramm, Feb 14, 2009.

1. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well I don't know how this all started but originally I had 6 blank icons made for the center of my screen. (I only have icons around the edges and I used 6 blanks to fill up the middle) One day those blank webclips somehow got deleted. I then went into cydia and removed the app so I could reinstall it when I got home (could use wifi). In the mean time to fix my layout/icon spacing, I opened safari (which only displayed a blank page because no wifi) so I added 6 "untitled 1,2,3,etc." webclips to my home screen. Sure, I had 6 bold white boxes but atleast it filled up space until I could get my real blanks back.

So fast froward a while. I get into a Wifi area so I instilled "iBlank" and generated 6 new blanks. I then moved them into place. All went well - until I tried to delete the white ones I made as temporary. I push and hold, then tap the little X - it asks are you sure you want to delete it. I said yes. Instead of it going "poof" like it usually does I get a spiny wheel in the middle of my screen and after 2 mins, my ipod re-springs. Not only are those webclips still there, but now all my icons randomly move around and change places!

I really don't want to re-jailbreak until 2.3 or something - so is there anyway I can SSH in delete them from the springbroad that way? I know how to SSH, I just need to know where they are stored.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    -Scott
  2. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

To my knowledge, WebClips are stored in /var/mobile/Library/WebClips/. Check in there and maybe delete them if they are in there.
  3. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thank you! that is the info I needed. I successfully deleted them!

But, now I can no longer add any? For example I tried to make one for google and when I hit add, I get the spinny wheel again and then it just restarts.

Oh well, atleast the other ones are gone - I guess I just won't make any new ones.
  4. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What is webclips?
  5. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

A WebClip are icons on the home screen that you can create using Safari, or if jailbroken, can also be blank icons.

As to why you can't create new WebClips...I have no idea. I can only guess it may be Permissions? :S
  6. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes! - I did some googling and found some other people with a similar problem. They said they changed the permissions and now it works.

So what should my permissions be set to?
  7. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

I think that maybe using the Fix User Dir Permissions thing in SBSettings and maybe BossPrefs would do that.

Otherwise I would give read/write/execute access to mobile.
  8. fashiongeek

fashiongeek New Member

thx you very much..u saved me for gd
  9. DHowett

DHowett New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Just a quick note - QuickGold causes crashes when you add/delete WebClips sometimes because they changed something from 2.2 to 2.2.1. This would cause the spinning wheel while springboard restarts.