Cannot run shell script from Springboard app

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jylanw, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jylanw

jylanw New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi,

I’m trying to create a really simple springboard shortcut/app. Basically I want to have an icon on my springboard which will run a shell script when opened.

I’ve figured out how to create the .app folder and have it show on the SB - but when I open it, it just does a quick zoom animation - then back to the SB and the shell script doesn’t work.

The script works fine from the command line - so I’m thinking the problem is something to do with my Info.plist file.

Here’s a link to the app folder: bit.ly/7hA8lS.

If anyone could point me in the right direction here I’d be really grateful

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Retro349

Retro349 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think scripts need to be compiled to work...
    Nevermind, found this in another thread. If you can code in Python, you're in luck.
  3. jylanw

jylanw New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi Retro349, Do you know if the requirement for any scripts to be compiled/written in ObjC is something that’s been introduced in the last year or so?

I was following the steps in http://www.hackint0sh.org/f126/8111.htm - which seem to indicate that it’s ok to directly reference a shell script.

I’ve also been looking at the .app folders for a number of jailbroken apps like iFile, Aptbackup & Rock, which all have the CFBundleExecutable key pointing to a basic shell script which in turn executes the compiled app. I think this approach is used as an easy way to output logs - but it also shows that you *can* call a shell script directly from Info.plist.

Is there anyone who could help further with this?