Cannot restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by supersonik-zlad, Jan 29, 2008.

1. supersonik-zlad

supersonik-zlad New Member

I have a 1.1.1 jailbroken ipod touch and yesterday noticed that it wasn't being recognized by my computer (Mac G5 running Leopard). I then decided to force my ipod into recovery mode. My computer then recognized that I had connected an ipod in recovery mode and that I had to restore and update it to make it functional again. I clicked restore and, after prepping, was given the message that an error had occurred and that my ipod couldn't be restored. I repeated the process several times, only to receive an error message each time. iTunes also says that I am on the most up to date Firmware (1.1.3), however the restores haven't worked and I never updated from 1.1.1 (or installed the tag id changer). All my ipod now displays is the "connect to itunes" logo after startup.
    I have checked the Apple website and tried what they suggest, but haven't had any success.

I have also tried using iphuc to boot my ipod out of recovery mode but am not quite sure on how to do this.

Any ideas what I should do?
  2. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    first of all, i'd try running the restore on a windows PC if you have any access to one at all. if not, you might be screwed... if you already tried running the restore from itunes, your firmware is gone, and you cant boot out of recovery without a firmware... i had errors as well when using XP, it took me 4 hours to realize "hey, why dont i try Vista" and it worked the first try.
  3. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Yes, on the top of this Forum there is a sticky about Downgrading from 1.1.3 to 1.1.1.

Just realize when you are looking at it, that Recovery Mode and Device Firmware Upgrade mode are two different things.
  4. Darkdoom

Darkdoom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hmm, seems pretty confusing. Your Leopard doesn't seem to speak the
    same language as your iPod. *just-joking*

Regarding your question about leaving Recovery Mode you should try this:

Connect your iPod with the USB cable first.

Force iPod out of Recovery Mode with iPhuc

Download iPHUC and run it.
    You should get a recovery mode prompt.

- Type "cmd setenv auto-boot true" and hit enter.
    - Type "cmd saveenv" and hit enter.
    - Type "cmd fsboot" and hit enter.

Your phone will boot properly.

What Version of iTunes are u using? 7.6 or 7.5 .. or prior?

Only read some threads about people having problems downgrading from 1.1.3 to 1.1.1
    using iTunes 7.6. Maybe you should check ur Version and try 7.5 to perform a restore
    to 1.1.1

1.1.3 -> 1.1.1 Downgrade
    http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/worlds-easiest-113-to-111-downgrade/
  5. supersonik-zlad

supersonik-zlad New Member

I may be able to get access to a windows pc.

Darkdoom, I'm using 7.6, but when I type those commands into iPhuc I get a bus error and am logged out.

Also, will typing restore in iPhuc do any good?
  6. sangesf

sangesf New Member

I'm telling you, you can get your iPod into DFU.. Device Firmware Upgrade mode.

If you can get it to that, you can EASILY downgrade to 1.1.1.

PLEASE try it.
  7. Darkdoom

Darkdoom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sry, dont know too much about iPhuc, only found out this command when my iPod was in Recovery Mode after every restart.

Regarding iTunes 7.6 i read that you should only use it, if you want to rent some movies via iTunes Store. In addition iTunes 7.6 prevents you from going back to 7.5 as it updates the format of the media library files.

If I were you i would try to downgrade to iTunes 7.5, but befor you should Backup this Folder, as it contains the Library Files.

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\YOUR USERNAME\Eigene Dateien\Eigene Musik\iTunes

After that you should give the following link a try:
    DFU-Mode:
    http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/worlds-easiest-113-to-111-downgrade/

Then your iPot should be in "Device Firmware Upgrade"-Mode.

After that could try to restore the firmware.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2007...pod-touch-firmware-to-version-111-using-os-x/

If you dont have the 1.1.1 Restore Image I would send you a PM if needed.
    (dont know if I'm allowed to Provide a Link)
    Otherwise use Google for: iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw

Edit:

This seems to be a Windows-Only solution or at least an other approach. Might give it a try if you can get to a Win-PC an getting the same error:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32103&highlight=restore