cannot get into DFU mode for the life of me!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by styylus, Aug 4, 2008.

1. styylus

styylus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well, I feel silly posting about this, given that I've been jailbreaking from the beginning and have **never** had a problem until this...I simply cannot get into f**king DFU mode, after hours of trying; it's making me wonder if it perhaps has to do with my laptop or iPod (?)

I have followed everyone's instructions, trying to hold for 10, 7 and 6 seconds, as there seem to be subtly varying methods out there that work for different people; the screen always flashes white, but inevitably after several "dings" in Windows, I end up seeing the Apple logo and then the iTunes connect logo on the iPod, meaning of course I've only achieved recovery mode.

I've tried using iLiberty and ZiPhone to automate getting into DFU mode, but to no avail.

Here are a couple questions:

(1) is there another tool out there that can help getting into DFU mode, without having to go through this maddening manual process?

(2) would someone please walk me through the steps, starting with having the iTunes connect logo on the iPod screen? (this is of course where I'm left after failing DFU and going into regular recovery mode).

Thanks for any help, I do appreciate it!

edit: ps. I am using Vista-- not sure if this poses a problem.
  2. sendxmedic

sendxmedic New Member

dfu

sent you a private message hope it helps
  3. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just Restore, then try again.
  4. crazysamm94

crazysamm94 New Member

All the other things would not work for me but this did. Make sure your ipod is connected to the computer. Make sure the volume is loud enough for you to hear. Now, hold the sleep/wake button and home button TOGETHER for 10 seconds, then left go of the sleep/wake button but continue holding the home button for about 10 seconds or until you hear the ding.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh and the ipod will appear as it is off (black screen) but it will really be off. And I do not know of any other programs that will put it into DFU. From my experience, those programs only put it into DFU mode incorrectly.
  5. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
  6. styylus

styylus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks for the responses guys...looked at that other thread, and I'm on 1.1.4 FW, but I should still be able to get into DFU mode, correct? problem is that I want to use winpwn to jailbreak 2.0, but I can't upgrade my FW to (regular) 2.0 via a normal restore (I get that error "6"), so I'm trying the DFU route, to no avail.

also, if I fail getting into DFU, and I'm stuck with the iTunes connect logo on my iPod, do I have to restore (to 1.1.4) before trying again, or can I just turn it off, and try from there (cuz that really sucks if each time you fail, you have to refresh the FW to try again.

Please Register or Log in to view images

...)
  7. jamriman

jamriman New Member

Hi Styylus, it seems I am stuck also restore mode (connect-itunes screen) and cannot get into DFU mode. I have a mac mini though (new one). When I try to restore I get itunes unknown error 6. Do you think reloading OS X will work? Thanks!