Cancelling contract..any hidden fees/problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hellishness, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ok, well im currently pondering ways to get my hands on an iphone thats not currently tied to a contract or in any plan. i first thought of buying one off craigslist, with no contract of course. BUT i really dont like the idea of buying one from someone that i dont know at all and risk getting a product with something wrong. well, then i could buy one without a contract straight from apple. thats 500 bucks, i think, for a 8gb 3g. today i thought that i could just simply buy a 3gs and cancel the contract after a certain amount of time (week, i think).

so heres how it goes:
    iphone 3gs, 16 gig: 199
    activation: 36
    first month: 70
    early termination: 175
    Grand total (w/o tax): 480 for a 16 gig 3GS.
    an 8gig 3G without a contract (just buying it): 500 bucks.

first off, is all of this correct and will i run into any problems?

second, has anyone done this?

third, how much is a 16 gig 3GS w/o contract?

finally, is there ANY way to buy an iphone and take it home without getting hooked with a contract? that would be so easy to do! just jailbreak it and you pay only 200 bucks at the end of the day.

Thanks!!
  2. AsianOnRoute69

AsianOnRoute69 Member

Device:
    iPad
    All the stuff you said above is correct. I however opted to get the 16gb iphone 3g white refurb that AT&T was selling for $99 because the feature set of the iphone 3gs didn't sway me enough to spend another $100. So basically, the cost for me was...

iPhone 3g 16gb White w/tax - 108.16

Activation Fee - 36

Early Termination Fee - 170

First Month's Service w/tax/fees - $80

Total $394.16

Price to buy iphone 3g 16gb white without contract is $499

The price to buy an iPhone 3GS 16gb is currently $599 which is the same apple charges for ARS replacement if you don't send in your iphone. And no, you won't be able to run out of the apple store with the iphone 3gs for $200, they will force you to sign a contract no matter what.
  3. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thanks! i was just considering the 32 gig new ipod touch, but the iphone for only around 200 more might be a good deal...idk though, which one do you think i should get? im having second thoughts about the iphone...
  4. AsianOnRoute69

AsianOnRoute69 Member

Device:
    iPad
    Honestly I would probably just go with an iPod touch, unless your contemplating on using the iPhone with phone access via t-mobile or something, then the iPhone is the way to go. I was thinking about switching my iPhone to t-mobile from AT&T but in California, 3g reception is really good, that I just liked it so much that I kept my 3g refurb on AT&T and it is nice to have Internet access anywhere but yah if u are looking for the extra iPhone features without the phone just stick with a touch, the touch is getting closer in narrowing the gap between the it and the iPhone
  5. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

In what way exactly.... mean, that might happen IF it gets a camera, which apple has stated wont happen for a while, and since if it does get a camera, it would offset iphone sales, since if you can get an ipod thats touch screen, and has a camera/video recording,for maybe $300. Why get an iPhone and pay a min of $70 a month (if on At&t) + the $300 for the phone too?

As for the contract prices, yeah its all correct, don't think you should have too much trouble, i do recommend you cancel it in a store or the website (if possible, i go to store for account based things), since in my opinion, the phone reps aren't that knowledgeable =p

P.s. Rummers = bad, just look at all of the idiots complaining about the "no camera" on the new ipod touch's =p

And i have an ipod touch, so don't say i'm just hating on the non iPhone users.
  6. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    its ok guys

Please Register or Log in to view images

. thanks for the info but i looked at a brand new 16 gig 3g (warranty replacement, 2 days old) and im buying it tonight. i really wanted the camera and mic outta the ipod and since they didn't deliver, im ok with spending 50 bucks more for the iphone. (buying for 380, ipod is 330 after taxes)
  7. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How'd did this work out for you?? I am thinking about doing the exact same thing...
  8. N130

N130 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Word I'm about to do that, I want a black 16GB 3GS though.
  9. Snipeout231

Snipeout231 New Member

I think hellish went with buying one on craigslist O_O... but if not
    i second the 2 posts before me
  10. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah i got one of craigslist. the lady had it replaced like the day before i bought it. she was upgrading to a 3gs. i jailbroke it and unlocked it. now im on tmobile. everything worked out fine and she seemed like a very honest person

and idk if you want my input, but 3gs's arent worth it. i paid 380 for my 16 gig 3g, comprable 3gs's were about 700. i really didnt think it was worth it for a phone thats only faster.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ps. sorry for the late reply. ive been busy