Canadian iPhone in Europe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dreossk, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Dreossk

Dreossk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hello,

I live in Canada and I have an iPhone with Fido (Rogers' network) and I want to know if it's possible to use it if I go to Europe?

Thanks!
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You can use it, but expect to pay a lot of extra money if you text message, make a call, or use any sort of data. Make sure that you have Airplane mode turned on.
  3. Dreossk

Dreossk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thank you Kiks52.
  4. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Or you can jailbreak and unlock if you are not on 3.1.3 and then once you are in europe just buy a vodafone or tmobile sim card.
  5. Dreossk

Dreossk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks, I have another question. Since the electric system is different in Europe, how could I recharge the iPhone? Is it safe to bring an adapter or could it cause harm?
  6. stanleybridgeboy

stanleybridgeboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Bring the USB Cable and plug into a computer, or the computer you have. If your staying at a friends, they most likely have a computer. If your staying at a hotel, they probably do too!

If it's at a hotel, just ask the manager if you could charge it off his office computer while you get breakfast, let's say. They shouldn't have a problem with it. That's what i did when I went to the Dominican Republic, but it was more cause I forgot my wall plug and thought there would be funny plugs.
  7. Dreossk

Dreossk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks! I have another question (sorry ;P). I have Skype and credits and if I'm correct I should be able to get to a wifi spot in Paris and call a hard line here for the usual fee (about 8ยข I think)?
  8. stanleybridgeboy

stanleybridgeboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    If you connect to Skype on your iPhone or whatever your using through WiFi... The charge will be deducted from your credits.

I'm not sure if Skype is available on the iPhone. But if your talking that, or a laptop, your using the internet connection to get it through. That would be using WiFi, so you can't get charged like you could if you just picked up your iPhone and dialed.
  9. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

Anything using Wifi is OK like SIP Phones and Skype