Canada, you think you got it bad.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryan, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    In New Zealand, Vodafone is selling Apple's 8 gigabyte iPhone 3G from $199, but to get this price customers must sign up to a 24-month plan charging $250 (£95, USD$180) per month. The plan includes voice calls, SMS and 1GB of data per month.

"On the mid-range CAN$75 (£37) per month tariff, for instance, Rogers subscribers get just 300 voice minutes and 100 texts."

I think New Zealand are getting ripped off more than the Canadians.....
  2. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yeah it sucks,

this from vodadones NZ site.

if you go for the cheaper plans (250MB and 120minutes calling for $80 per month) then the 16GB is gonna be $700! and if you want to buy just the phone its $1130

cancelling the contract in the first 6 months costs $1050 so no buying on a contract then cancelling here.

iPhone 3G Plans

Vodafone offers three great iPhone plans - iPhone 250, iPhone 500 and iPhone 1GB
    iPhone Specific Plans iPhone 250 iPhone 500 iPhone 1GB
    Cost per Month $80 $130 $250
    Included Minutes 120 250 600
    Included TXT 600 600 600
    Included Data 250 MB 500 MB 1 GB
    Additional Usage
    Per minute $0.69 $0.55 $0.53
    Per TXT $0.20 $0.20 $0.20
    Per MB $0.10 $0.10 $0.03
    iPhone with plan
    8GB iPhone $549 $449 $199
    16GB iPhone $699 $599 $349
    iPhone Only

To purchase an iPhone 3G with no plan you'll need to visit a Vodafone retail store.
    iPhone only iPhone 8GB iPhone 16GB
    $979 $1129

If your needs have changed and you want to end your iPhone or Broadband plan for mobile contract early, we'll do everything we can to help - but there may be fees.

The size of the fee depends on how early you're cancelling.
    iPhone 0-6 Months 6-12 Months +12 Months
    iPhone 250MB $600 $520 $260
    iPhone 500MB $780 $670 $330
    iPhone 1GB $1050 $910 $450
  3. organerito

organerito New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I Live in Canada. It is a very greedy country.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    looks like n.z is even more greedy
  5. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Rogers is just a monopolizing country... er... Company. Here's a post from the best blog ever (mine):

Ted Rogers, this message is directed to you. Personally you.

My TV and Home Phone is operated by you. The prices are reasonable, and the service is good. But my cellphone is Telus. Why? I don’t support illegal organizations. Your company is a GSM Monopoly. A monopoly. Buying out every company that even tries to start with SIM cards; (Fido ring a bell?). It was all after the purchase of MicroTell that Rogers has suddenly turned into a bunch of theives.

I admired Rogers. The Blue Jays, The SkyDome (er… Rogers Centre), everything about you. Except the Cellphone Carriers.

You’ve been dying for me to introduce this topic, the iPhone. Don’t get me started. Well, you don’t have a choice.

O2 has introduced Pay and Go plans, and many other countries have plans starting at $25, some even with ‘Unlimited Data’, which is a term you apparently fail to understand. Even the people south of the border have more coverage and better plans than us. Now don’t give me the ‘we serve 95% of the Canadian population’ stuff. Here, see a map of Canada’s population density.

See those red areas? That’s all you need to cover for 95% of Canada’s population. If I travel on a road trip to Thunder Bay, I will barely get any service. You guys even piggyback on Bell for your service. Shameful and discraceful. You make me shameful to be in the same country as you.

You want customer opinion? Here’s some opinions from “Cell Phone Forums”:

When I had Fido ([purchased unfairly by] Rogers), I had no reception about 1 / 2 of the time while travelling, and was made that I could almost never use it.

[...]only Bell mobility service continued to work throughout the blackout. My brother’s rogers phone couldn’t get service while my Bell phone did.

So, going back to the iPhone 3G Plans, I’m thoroughly dissapointed, and over 40,000 others are too (RuinediPhone.com). I would buy the iPhone, but thanks to you, it’s ruined. At least make your $60 plan down to $30, and create a cheaper plan at $20, while selling the iPhone at $199 for $20/$30 plan, $150 for the $50 plan, $100 for the $100 plan, and $50 for the $120 plan. That way you make a profit, and keep people happy. I would buy an iPhone with those plans. In fact, I think you would get triple the customers you would normally have, and everyone is happy. win-win situation.

So, farewell, and thanks for ruining the iPhone for all of us.

John Delaney
    john.delaney@macscene.890m.com

P.S. Readers, E-Mail this to Rogers, so we can get a mass boycott and email sending…
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    hmm... now my threads about to turn into a "we hate rogers" thread...