Canada Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aduumzor, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I might get an iPhone in the future, but my dads friend has one and says the Edge doesn't work in Canada for browsing and all that.

He might not know what hes doing but I won't ask

Please Register or Log in to view images

All I want to know is from Canadian iPhone users if your Edge works (if you've purchased an internet plan) and what Canadian carrier your using. My dads friend says Rogers doesn't support the iPhone yet and thats why it's Safari browsing is not working.

Thanks
  2. iamcanadian

iamcanadian New Member

He is wrong EDGE works fine (i'm not on rogers but im switching and ive done my research)
  3. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can you explain how you got it to work?
    What plan are you on, is there anything you need to input to the settings etc.
  4. Mactime

Mactime New Member

it does work , but it will be the biggest mistake of your life to use edge with rogers or fido.
    they have poor data plans nothing unlimited like ATT. unless you want a high monthly bill i would stay away from edge until they release a better data plan. all the function work perfectly with WIFI, which could be found pretty much anywhere and for free.
  5. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually they do have an unlimited wireless internet data plan for only $7.99 CAD. I've discovered the most likely problem that my dads friend could have with the APN username and password etc.
  6. Sic Jake

Sic Jake New Member

That is the Roger's Vision plan, I was looking at that myself today. I don't believe that applies to the iphone. If you read the fine print it's only for certain phones atm. Mostly the Razr and LG Shine. It specifically says PDA's and Blackberries are excluded. Really I suspose it comes down to how they classify the Iphone. Surfing with Safari will hands down use more megs then a blackberry ever will.

In the end I'm going to buy an Iphone myself and just stick to Wifi. At this point I'm using my itouch far more than I ever thought I would, it's a PDA for all intents and purposes. I just want to combine it with a cellphone so I have less crap in my pocket. I can live without edge as I live without it now just fine. I mean if that 7 dollar plan DOES apply to the iPhone they hey sign me up, but as of now I think your restricted to the 10 bucks for 10 megs data plan which is utter garbage.
  7. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

Edge does work in Canada, but it's very limited. The minute you leave Toronto (or any other major city) Edge stops working.

I have unlimited browsing with Rogers. What you do is call Rogers straight up, dont do ANYTHING with the internet, and negotiate.

I told Rogers straight up that I have an iPhone and that I need an unlimited browsing plan with Edge. They told me that they would give me unlimited browsing for $30 dollars. I told them that was insane and that data plans in the United States only go up to $20 bucks maximum. I told him that I wanted to talk with his manager. Rogers really doesn't like it when people call and fight and their call reps are trained to give deals. So I made a deal with the manager. $10 bucks for an EDGE unlimited browsing add-on.

Try doing this and you might be successful, but this is what I did.

EDIT: By "anything with the internet" I mean dont register for anything through the Rogers or Fido websites.