can you tranfer video on ipod touch without itunes?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by apparos, Jan 18, 2008.

1. apparos

apparos New Member

hello guys i just want to know is i can tranfers music videos and fotos on my touch with out the use of that stupid itunes.i just formated my pc and want to copy some new songs and videos put you have to erase all of the older once ...

can it be made? with some program?

witch ? and is thare any tutorial about it?

i can find anything!
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

You can't find anything because nothing exists. iTunes is required to sync music, photos and videos on the Touch and iPhone. There is simply no way around it right now.
  3. apparos

apparos New Member

thnx for the aswer!

i thought maybe with the use of an ftp prog like cute ftp pro or something you could find the video directories and just simply copy your videos your fotos and mp3s!!

i love apple hardwares put that stupid i tunes is keeping a lot o people away from apple!!

if something comes up would be happy to hear about it so please keep me inform

thnx!!!
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

That won't work because iPods don't simply search for available MP3 files. Here, more or less, is what happens when you copy a song on to an iPod through iTunes.

1. Song is copied over to iPod.
    2. Song is renamed to an arbitrary 4 character filename. (eh. KX4G.MP3)
    3. All ID3 tag information is removed.
    4. Internal music database is updated to add a new entry that contains all of the ID3 tag information that was removed, as well as accounting features (last played, times played, rating, etc.), a link to the album art file, a link to the renamed MP3 file on the unit itself, and whatever other information it needs to store.

So basically, the song info in the MP3 file you copy on to the iPod is completely removed, the filename is changed, and all of that information is placed in its own proprietary XML database. The iPod relies on this database to look up everything it needs to know about the song. You can't just copy a song into the Touch through WinSCP or Total Commander because there will be no accompanying link in its database that points to it or even tells it that it exists.

Now, for iPod Classic, Video and all previous iPod generations it was possible to do this through a prorgam called Floola, which is a portable alternative to iTunes, which can manage your music database from any computer. This only worked though because those iPod models have a drive mode so that the unit is recognized as a removable storage device and its file system can be accessed easily. The iPhone and iPod Touch do not have an available drive mode (yet) so it is not possible to do this at the present time.