Can you permanently erase files?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tallmomfo2, Aug 14, 2008.

1. tallmomfo2

tallmomfo2 New Member

I'm upgrading to a 32mb Touch and want to be able to sell my 8mb. However, I don't want my personal info going to someone else. Are there any tools or techniques that will erase files so that they can't be read? The erase in iTunes doesn't really erase the file.

It's a Touch with the 2.0.1 update and NOT jailbroken (not that I have anything against jailbreaking, just don't have the personal bandwidth to tackle that project.)

I should also add that I'm on Windows.

TIA!
  2. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just plug it into iTunes and click restore! It'll restore the iPod to how it was when you first bought it. No music, no videos, watever and as soon as its plugged into the computer of whoevers buying it they can immediately set up the iPod as there own. Remember, restoring restores the iPod to the factory firmware, and the firmware is basically the software. Not the information you put onto it.
  3. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yes you could restore, but if you want FACTORY settings simply go into settings, touch general, then reset, then choose "erase all settings and data" and this will bring the ipod back to what you first go it out of the box as.
  4. tallmomfo2

tallmomfo2 New Member

Thanks for the replies but will this actually erase the data or just the file locations? Everything I've read leads me to believe that the data is still there and accessible with the right tools.
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    remember what your ipod was like when you first turned it on?

thats what itll be like, i did that when i sold my old iphone, there is no way to recover the data, the process takes about an hour and nothing but the original firmware is left