Can you jailbreak and still use on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sentinel, Apr 6, 2008.

1. sentinel

sentinel New Member

Hey I am getting a new iPhone soon, and I was wondering if I can jailbreak the iPhone but still use it as an AT&T phone on my plan. And if so... how do I go about doing that so I don't mess up my AT&T service "not including the risk associated with jailbreak, cause I am fully aware of that ;-)"
  2. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    yes of course you can just jailbreak but not unlock. you dont HAVE to unlock when you jailbreak
  3. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    just click jailbreak. not unlock or activate in ziphone
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The only thing that won't work for you is the "visual voicemail".

I've been using my iPhone with a Go-Phone sim card and have been very happy with it.

I wouldn't let AT+T know that you are going to use your current service on an iPhone or they might try and make you resign a contract.

You'll want to check what options you have for data usage if you want to use all the features (internet, email etc..). If you don't have them on a plan it is $0.01 per kilobyte which can add up fast.

Your text messaging shouldn't change at all. Whatever you have on your account is what you'll get with the iPhone.

Hope that helps.
  5. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I have an AT&T plan, and my iPhone would not work with my SIM card until I unlocked and activated my iPhone with ZiPhone.

Same with a few friends. The iPhone had to be unlocked in order to use the SIM card from another phone. It also needed to be activated as each time I connected to iTunes it looked to activate my iPhone.

Just my experience.

Edit:
    OK, I just restored my iPhone and tried again. The iPhone will NOT work simply by inserting a SIM card from another AT&T Phone. The iPhone kept telling me that I had an incorrect SIM card installed. So I unlocked my iPhone with ZiPhone and was able to use the SIM card without a problem. However, each time I connect to iTunes, iTunes looks to activate my iPhone. So the iPhone needs to be activated as well.
  6. iJuleguy

iJuleguy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    After 30 minutes of trying to get my old sim to work with ZiPhone and restoring in iTunes, I gave up and put the original SIM and followed the activation process on iTunes.
  7. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Did you unlock and activate your iPhone?

The first button in ZiPhone is what you want to use. I believe it says do everything?
  8. itouchhacker

itouchhacker New Member

How can you get EDGE working? I have an AT&T SIM Card, but can't get EDGE even thought I have a data plan (not iPhone, for another phone). I didn't activate it through iTunes though, I did the "DO - IT - ALL" through ZiPhone
  9. sentinel

sentinel New Member

well i mean im using the plan the iphone comes with, not something else.
  10. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

Damn, I'm lucky I guess. I have the iPhone AT&T plan since day one and never had problems after jailbreaking. I would say there is no problem with it but apparently there is...

(I haven't ever unlocked/hackitvated it)