Can you jailbrake on a PPC Mac?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by DankSinatra, Dec 6, 2007.

1. DankSinatra

DankSinatra New Member

You may have seen me bouncing around a few threads trying to figure out how to solve an issue.

After reading here and on a couple other boards, I have realized that my problem may be a problem with my computer. I have noticed that most mac users that have had success were using an Intel Mac.

I am on a Power PC iMac G5, running the latest version of Leopard.

I also have a 15in G4 Powerbook, also running the latest Leopard.

Does anyone know if I can jailbreak using either of these computers?
  2. dagored

dagored Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. DankSinatra

DankSinatra New Member

For some reason, I am not seeing a readme file. Here's what I see from that folder:

Please Register or Log in to view images

And, That link is the page I was working off of last night. I had an issue with the ipsw file that has since been resolved, but when I select it for restore, I get an error.
  4. rafacq

rafacq New Member

I have a G5 and had no problems downgrading my iPod Touch to 1.1.1 then installing jailbreak, then oktoprep, then upgrading to 1.1.2, and now enjoying my jailbroken Touch! One difference is I am running Tiger.

Double check your steps again.

Good luck.
  5. DankSinatra

DankSinatra New Member

Cool.

I know that I'm doing something wrong, but it's tough to figure out what it is. I must have read at least four walkthroughs, and googled my ass of for 'jailbreak iPod on PPC Mac', but to no avail.

I have run through the steps about 4 times, and keep getting the 'iPod could not restore, error (1)'. My iPT restarts in the process and "looks" all good, and when I run the jar file I 'Boot from Recovery", but sometimes iTunes recognizes it before its done rebooting.

I check the firmware and it says 1.1.2. I know I'm selecting the right resore.ipsw, so I don't know.
  6. dagored

dagored Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Looking at your image, it does not even look like mine. I just downloaded and all is fine. Are you using Safari, if so, use Firefox, or vice versa. No wonder you have problems. The folder name is not even correct, are you renaming it? It should read - 1.1.2.-jailbeak Folder. Your files do not look right either.

That looks like an ipod firmware folder, not the jailbreak folder.

More sites to read: http://spoonforknife.googlepages.com/
  7. DankSinatra

DankSinatra New Member

Yeah, my bad. I posted a pic of the wrong folder. The jailbreak 1.1.2. zip that I d/l'd turned into a folder called 1.

Anyways, I've seen that site before and I guess I didn't read close enough. Here's what it says about downgrading:

The last sentence concerns me, because I was not disconnecting my iPT from my computer at any time. When I restore using the 1.1.1ipsw, my iPT does reboot and show an apple logo. Shortly thereafter, I get that error.

If I try to disconnect inbetween the reboot and the error, the iPT freezes in recovery mode.

I need to know what that damn "error (1)" is.