Can you help - newbie

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by greengrass, Nov 4, 2009.

1. greengrass

greengrass New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have just joined so hi to everyone. My 32GB touch 3G arrives tomorrow. I dont want to be held to apple store and want to jailbreak it BUT I am confused. In fact the more I read the more confused I get!
    Do I update the firmware first or will it come with the latest firmware ( Argos). Is there only a tethered jailbreak for this version of touch so far? Should I wait? What happens if I install stuff while I am waiting and then I want to jailbreak? I really dont understand it at all...itunes? Do I definately not run a jailbroken touch through itunes...do I use 3rd party stuff to sync music etc etc??
    Sorry if I sound thick...but I am!

Greengrass.
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just out of interest, why are you planning on jailbreaking? It sounds like you don't know that much about the iPod, and jailbreaking just adds another level of things that can go wrong unless you know how to sort it out.

To answer your questions though, it will most likely come with the latest firmware right out of the box. If you do plan on jailbreaking, it will be tethered. A jailbroken iPod will work with iTunes fine without problem.
  3. greengrass

greengrass New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You're right, I dont. I want to jailbreak it because I believe I will be limited to whats available through Apple and then theres the cost. So? Do I leave it until an untethered jailbreak comes out and what happens to anything I install like apps if I do. Is there a way to back that up and put it back on a jailbroken phone? Thanks
    Greengrass
  4. Meikura

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    "Cost" sounds like you want to get cracked apps, which is against the rules of this forum. If it is, do not discuss it here.

It's completely up to you whether you wait or jailbreak now. Anything you have on your device including music/videos and applications will still be there after you jailbreak. There will be no difference to your device except the ability to run 3rd party applications like Cydia/Icy/Rock/etc.
  5. greengrass

greengrass New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks. but I am not a gung ho pirate! I just beleive there are more apps to be had in a jailbroken ipod from what I have read. Also to be able to customise etc. I have done some homework but I specifically get confused when itunes comes into play with a jailbroken ipod.

Greengrass
  6. sathishkumar.msuee

sathishkumar.msuee New Member

Hi Greengrass,

I am planning to order a 32 GB ipod touch 3G. I am very confused about where to buy.
    because from applestore, it costs $320 after tax. But i have seen a website called macmall.com, there same device available for $278 + some free stuffs.
    Can anyone advice me on what to do? Is there any difference buying from applestore and from macmall.com?

Sathish
  7. nickswitz

nickswitz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    iTunes is fine with a jailbroken ipod, I have jailbroken back from 2.2.1 and have never had a problem with iTunes running with the iPod. So I would say yeah, go for it.
  8. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    iTunes works on a jailbroken Touch. When you sync it wont unjailbreak or tell Apple that you have jailbroken. The new 3rd gen is tethered so whenever you reboot (your rarely do) you have to run blackra1n again to reboot it.

You can back up your AppStore apps through iTunes and backup your Cydia apps through apps like aptbackup and pkgbackup.
  9. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Heres my advice: get the ipod, learn all about it, play with it for a new days, see if anythings wrong, explore all the things that you can do and identify the things that you wanna get out of jailbreaking. Once you're familiar with the things that usually go wrong and how to fix them, they you can jailbreak, cuz i guarantee that you will run into many more problems once you're jailbroken.
  10. Meikura

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A lot more can go wrong when you're jailbroken, so it's safer to remain unjailbroken until your familiar with the device. While it's true that it's incredibly hard to brick your iPod, it can be incredibly scary for something to go wrong with it just after you've bought it. It's not a nice experience!