Can you have 2 hard drive partitions on the touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by llekyamer, Jan 18, 2008.

1. llekyamer

llekyamer New Member

Can the touch have 2 hard drive partitions. Let say 1 with 4 gigs for the 1.1.2 jailbrake. And 1 with 4 gigs for 1.1.3 and all future updates. That way you would never have to jailbrake again. all future apple updates only affact that side of the partition and we can keep installing apps on the jailbroken side.
  2. llekyamer

llekyamer New Member

This might be doable on 16g ipod touches

Thinking back on that request it might be doable on 16g touches , because the you can have 8g partions and then the software would not be able to tell it apart form a 8g ipod touch. This would be more like parralels you would start up in one partition or the other partition. They would not communicate any info from one side to the other.
  3. spinner

spinner New Member

Well, I think it would take a hell of a lot to get that done. And if there's a problem with the partitioning wall, BANG instant f*** up. Imagine all the jailbroken stuff pouring into the legit stuff. The legit software probably couldn't handle it. But I might be wrong. Just my personal opinion.
  4. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

you said hard drive partitions. we use flash memory here. because hard drives are ipod classic talk.
  5. drakness

drakness New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    you probably could do this, but i've NEVER been a fan of messing with partitions on anything.
    the only program that has ever been good with partitions for me is whatever the thing on linux is called.

everything else usually corrupts data =/

of course... everything corrupts windows. could be different for the touch.
    but i do think it would definitely be possible if you could get the touch recognized as a disc drive or something.
    my only concern is itunes would probably flip out and not recognize the ipod anymore. (maybe)
  6. llekyamer

llekyamer New Member

ok 2 flash drive partitions then

I don't know how any of this works, but why can't we use have the disk space for 1 version 1.1.2 and the other for 1.1.3 and above and for that case whatever other operating system we want to use. I mean is it not a mettar of how mush space you have available. If the touch came with 60 gig flash drive could we not then have multiple system softwars running on it, as long as the hardware was caplable of running that kind of software. Or does the entire space have to be used up by 1 system software.
  7. drakness

drakness New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    one issue would be like i said in my last post...
    if you had both 1.1.2 and 1.1.3, what would itunes think?
    you might get lucky and it might just see it as one or the other, but it could totally mess up and freak out on you.
    you probably could do it with A LOT of work, but i don't see a huge need for this since a jailbroken 1.1.2 does more than 1.1.3 does.

edit: just so ppl know... i'm no pro at this stuff. so don't flame me if something i say isn't totally accurate.