Can we over-ride the itunes library order, simply?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fishbone126, Jun 4, 2008.

1. fishbone126

fishbone126 New Member

We have a large classical music file on the computer that we want to put onto an ipod touch.
    The pieces must be played in order, but the itunes library has re-organised them in a random order that we don't understand.
    Is there a way we can over-ride the itunes order so that we can play stuff in the order we want, without going through the thousands of "songs" and renumbering them individually?

I hope that makes sense and appreciate any advice you can offer as I don't understand any of this.

Many thanks
  2. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz New Member

i'm not sure i understand what you mean, but i tihnk if you click the 'headings' for each column for eg. the album and so on itunes will organise it chronologically based on the album's name.

If that doesn't work, you may want to go through the long tedious process of right clicking each music file and go to 'info' then edit the details such as artist, album, genre etc.
  3. fishbone126

fishbone126 New Member

Thanks for trying to help - it's all gobbledegook to me - husband is struggling while I seek advice. What you suggested doesn't work so unless there's a way round it, he's making piece-by-piece playlists and will try to reorganise them within playlists (whatever that means) but it will take many days

What he's done over the years is to put different tracks from different albums in an order that he wants them grouped together, but when he put them into itunes, they've been reorganised haphazardly.

I was hoping that, just as you can drag things from itunes onto your computer, you might be ale to do that in reverse, somehow.
  4. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz New Member

That's unfortunate cuz itunes arranges things chronologically period. I guess most prefer it that way, sorry i can't help you further

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. fishbone126

fishbone126 New Member

Thanks for letting me know it's chronological rather than haphazard, and thanks for trying to help....and for demonstrating icons which look fun.

Cheers from an old fart

6. Tigerclaw

Tigerclaw New Member

The only way I can see to do what you want is to edit the info for each file in turn, then make the said tracks a "Compilation" so iTunes doesn't mess it up for you again. You're right in saying it will take you days, but if you don't do it, iTunes can mess it up again. Playlists are okay, but not infalable.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to start from the beginning, numbering the tracks from 1 to (whatever you end with) and giving them a unique name in the "grouping" section. Hopefully this will force iTunes to keep those files in the order you want them.

Edit: From one "old fart" to another

7. MrCrawley

MrCrawley New Member

have you try making this a huge album. by puting in the info disc 1 of 1 and the track place (1 or 3 or 345,567?)